seeking advice-feedback on my 20 gallon!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thomas989

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi moved into an apartment, and the previous tenant sold me his tank. Im not a noob, had a piranha tank 7 years ago but need some refresher and feedback!!

Decor: 4 moss balls, lots of artificial plants, rocks, and 1 artificial coral..plenty of hiding space and swimming room in front.

filters: internal 30i tetra tank (125 gph), however I dont use bio bag, I use sponge, purigen, and lots of biomax. And an aquatech 5-15 (90-100 gph) with bio foam, floss, and activated carbon.

I would like feedback with the stock-setup, Im thinking it may be heavy, but checked with aqadvisor and it says ok (106% - with "plenty of filtration)

12- Neon Tetras
1 - Dwarf neon Rainbowfish (yes they are schooling fish, but this one seems happy and actively swimming, sometimes with neons!)
1- Bolivian Ram (gets along with everyone, strange bond with my gourami, chasing it at times and sleeping-playing with it other times)
1 -Red honey gourami (Gets chased by Bolivian, but is active and not shy or hiding, actually often follows the bolivian...until it gets chased haha)
3 corys- Bolivian ram doesnt seem to mind them, often staying and sharing food in same territory.
1 - Platy- does her own thing, doesnt bother or really get bothered. (does seem to eat alot, with stringy poop, I only give a pinch of flakes for tetra-rainbow and 2-3 pellets for corys-ram and fast on sundays, veggie mondays.

Also the tetras swim in the front in morning-afternoon, and hide behind plants in evening- night, which is when everyone else is most active. so visually it doesnt look too overstocked.

I have 3 questions.

1) They seem fine together but is it too overstocked- heavy bio load, my understanding is im breaking the inch per gallon rule, but my fishes have small bioloads?

2) could I add a German blue ram? my water paramater suits them (test strips only at the moment) ....6.8 ph, soft-medium water, 0 ammonia/nitrite, 20 nitrate.

3) Or should I trade in some of my fishes to create room for GBR? If so which one(s)

This isn't really an answer but I have heard many people say that aqadvisor ers on the conservative side if you keep up with things. I always under stock because I want everything to be fine if life gets in the way of a water change one week :p

So yeah...hopefully someone with more experience has a more informed opinion on the subject.

Overstocking is fine as long as you do more water changes than normal. So I don't see why you can't just add another German blue ram as long as you step up the water changes quantity or regularity just a tad. Hope this helps

Thanks. How should I address my water changes for heavy populated tank?

1)large (30% or so) once a week

2)smaller 10-20% twice a week.

3)Or perhaps 1 small change 10% on tuesday and larger one 30% on saturday?

A google search on this and I keep getting conflicting results!!

(I use Prime and warm tap water to match temp)

Thanks. How should I address my water changes for heavy populated tank?

1)large (30% or so) once a week

2)smaller 10-20% twice a week.

3)Or perhaps 1 small change 10% on tuesday and larger one 30% on saturday?

A google search on this and I keep getting conflicting results!!

(I use Prime and warm tap water to match temp)

If u really wanna know just do daily water tests and keep a log of your results and use that to decide if u need to do more than weekly water changes

Back
Top Bottom