Seeking stocking advice for new 60 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OhNeil1969

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm currently performing a fishless cycle on my new 60 gallon tank. In the mean time I'm dreaming of the fish I would like to have. I currently have a 29 gallon community tank with the typical peaceful fish you find at the average LFS. I'm looking, however, to venture out into something more exotic with the 60 gallon tank. So far I've come up with this scenario:

1 black veil angelfish
1 marble veil angelfish
1 blue diamond discus
1 checkboard discus
1 yellow malboro discus
1 royal red discus
1 green discus
10 boesemani rainbow
2 golden apple snails.

I went to liveaquaria.com and looked for interesting fish. I did go to aqadvisor.com to see if there were any potential conflicts. According to that site I think I'll be able to stock the tank in this fashion.

I am, though, interested in hearing any thoughts on the choices. Has anyone had any experience with any of these breeds? Will the discus live well together even though they are not exactly the same? (aqadvisor said I should have at least 5 discus; that's why I chose so many). Does anyone see any potential conflicts with the breeds I've chosen? I'm really interested in having a colorful tank with at least 1 schooling breed (hence the boesemani rainbow). If there is a conflict, are they any suggestions as to replacements?

Of course, I want the tank to be healthy and successful (especially when you consider the cost of the livestock). Any info you can give me to ensure the health of these fish will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks;
Neil

I think there are too many discus in there and too many rainbows for this tank. I would go with an angelfish tank personally because angelfish ahve more personality and are easiar to care for. With a 60 you could put around 6 in there with about 4 rainbows it would go really nicly in there.
Keeping discus is quite hard. Make sure the tank is really cycled and has finished cycling about 2 weeks before becuase discus dont do the best in a fairly young aquarium so building up that bacteria is a good idea. And doing water changes for discus around 40% every week or 20% twice a week would be quite addequete.
As for feeding they would really like blood worms and peas also a high quality food flake

Thanks Jason;

Ironically, I really didn't want that many discus. Like I said, aqadvisor said 5 would be best (wouldn't be the first time I didn't follow their advice to the letter). Also, since I really want the rainbow fish to school, I decided to go with 10. I noticed with my neon tetras that they school better with higher numbers. Otherwise, I would only get 2 discus and 5 rainbow (it'd save a lot of money also).

Trust me, this tank will be fully cycled and "aged" before I put the discus in. What are any other concerns I might run into with keeping discus?

Just when you first add tthem be paitent they will be shy. Also i reckon 3 would be better. And try hand feeding them and getting them to feed and plenty of hiding spots just for them to retreat too. And when you first get them leave the lights out i find that when i leave the lights off the fish are more comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom