Seiryu stone confusion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThatPlantedGuy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone, starting a 2g b
Planted cherry shrimp and I'm planning to use seiryu, Ive heard that seiryu/ Ying stone increases the pH level of water, I was wandering how to combat this other than using pH down product.

The reason I need this to be done is shrimp prefer more acidic than alkaline water.

Pls reply if you know anything I can do

Thanks

Seiryu Stone will affect the hardness (GH and KH) primarily and pH to a lesser degree.
I would get a kit to test GH & KH and test your source water and tank water. If these are quite low, then it you might be able to use Seiryu Stone.
I don’t use it in my shrimp tanks (cherries, yellow neons) because the GH and KH are up there (12 and 6, respectively).
Don’t use pH Down.

Yes, the stone is known to increase hardness/pH. Some have white veins which I was told are calcium. Also makes them look really attractive in my opinion. DW, extra leaf litter, increasing pwc. Could go as far as using peat moss steeping in tub to use as pwc water.

What are your water parameters out of the tap (or after sitting for 24-48 hours for pH)?

This is for a TWO gallon tank, there is a typo in the 1st post?

Seiryu Stone will affect the hardness (GH and KH) primarily and pH to a lesser degree.
I would get a kit to test GH & KH and test your source water and tank water. If these are quite low, then it you might be able to use Seiryu Stone.
I don’t use it in my shrimp tanks (cherries, yellow neons) because the GH and KH are up there (12 and 6, respectively).
Don’t use pH Down.
Yeah good idea, I should really have a full test kit already lol.

IYO what kind of stone/rock looks nice on a dark substrate in and then sand on the outer?

Yes, the stone is known to increase hardness/pH. Some have white veins which I was told are calcium. Also makes them look really attractive in my opinion. DW, extra leaf litter, increasing pwc. Could go as far as using peat moss steeping in tub to use as pwc water.

What are your water parameters out of the tap (or after sitting for 24-48 hours for pH)?

I'm going to start the tank with a couple low light plants:

Crypts
Amazon swords
Anubias
Java moss

Tank is only a cube so the light is rather close to substrate there fore might try my first carpet (easy carpet plant pls lol)

Also do you think I should make a page for this tank?

Attachments

• IMG_20180108_195017115.jpg
    IMG_20180108_195017115.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 66
I have good luck with the Dwarf Hair Grass in planted tank substrate. With a decent amount of light.

So far great luck with the Amazonia Light substrate but also needs time to leach the ammonia even though it doesn't indicate much of an issue, I found enough ammonia leaching to be able to kill shrimp. And you would want to cycle the tank anyway. In theory the substrate leaching will help with the cycling of a tank due to the ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom