Septicemia in Comet please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ruedy077

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,
I am fairly new to this site and to the Hobby as well. I recently set up a 10 gal tank about a month ago With 1 Sarasa Comet (abouy 4 inches). Recently i have noticed some faint red streaks near the end of his tail fin and sum spots that untill now i assumed were just scales that had fallen off. Othen then that he has a good appetite and an active swimmer, but occasionaly lays on the bottom. Ive been doing a lot of research lately and have come to the conclusion that it is most likely Septicemia :( Ive found that Maracyn 2 would be a suitable medication to use i was just wondering how it would affect my HOB filter. And before everyone yells at me that the tank is too small i have purchased a 55 gallon and i am currently setting it up. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Ive become quite attached to this little guy and will do what is needed to help him out as best as i can. :)

Additional info:
did a 50% water change yesterday
water parameters are in check according to petco however my test kit says otherwise but it hasnt changed in weeks (ammonia .5 to 1 ppm. Nitrate 0. Nitrite 0 to 1 ppm)l
Sorry this is long and i am new and learning so any advice would be helpful

Do another even larger pwc as soon as you can to get that ammonia down. As well as suffering, he may end up scarred from ammonia burns like my guy.

Lots and lots of clean dechlorinated water will keep him alive and stop any further damage. Good luck- it's a horrible situation for you both to be in, but it IS manageable.

Did another 50% water change am going to wait awhile before testing the water parameters again. He seemed to perk right up after and is swimming around i will keep an eye on him, but thank you:)

He likely does not have septicemia but is simply suffering from ammonia poisoning. Just stay on top of your big water changes to keep the water as healthy as possible. If your not already using Prime or Amquel Plus, switch to using one of these two water conditioners as they help to limit the effects of toxins in the water temporarily between water changes.

Currently i am using a basic aqueon water condition that came with the tank but i will be sure to go pick up some prime today, how often should i do these larger water changes once a week or more frequent

Back
Top Bottom