Seriously, how long until my Coral Beauty comes out in the open ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Felix T Cat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I added a coral beauty Saturday evening to my 90 gallon tank and I was worried that he might decide to nip at my corals but I wanted to give him a shot because he looked so unhappy at Petco.

His other tank mates are a medium yellow tang, a small hippo tang, single clown (yes I want to add more clowns so this one isn't lonely although it bonded to the hippo pretty well) lawnmower blenny and a strawberry basslet.

2 days later and he is still hiding in a cave corner under my rock wall. I can see him if I shine a light down into the corner and believe he is getting food when I feed the tank because the mysis are getting down into that area of the tank.

I've watched the tank and it doesn't appear that the tang is being a bully as he hangs out at the other end of the tank for the most part.

Any ideas or is this simply a matter of playing the waiting game for him to be bold enough to come out ?

Felix T Cat said:
I added a coral beauty Saturday evening to my 90 gallon tank and I was worried that he might decide to nip at my corals but I wanted to give him a shot because he looked so unhappy at Petco.

His other tank mates are a medium yellow tang, a small hippo tang, single clown (yes I want to add more clowns so this one isn't lonely although it bonded to the hippo pretty well) lawnmower blenny and a strawberry basslet.

2 days later and he is still hiding in a cave corner under my rock wall. I can see him if I shine a light down into the corner and believe he is getting food when I feed the tank because the mysis are getting down into that area of the tank.

I've watched the tank and it doesn't appear that the tang is being a bully as he hangs out at the other end of the tank for the most part.

Any ideas or is this simply a matter of playing the waiting game for him to be bold enough to come out ?

Sheesh whats up with people not researching their fish today? I think your coral beuty is probably stressed by the active tangs. Your regal tang needs a 180 eventually, and i know its small now but that would really stress it, and most likely the other fish too. It is also recommended that the yellow has a 100-125. i hope you have an upgrade in the new future!

I hope your coral beuty doesnt end up nipping all of your corals..but the odds are not in your favor

The 90 is a temp tank until the house sells (been on the market for 8 months now, was really hoping it would have been gone by now) and I can get into a more permanent place to set my 135 back up. The regal is just larger than a quarter right now, MAYBE a half dollar if I really stretched it so I doubt it's stressing anything. Actually the clown might be larger than it.

If the beauty does end up nipping at my corals then I will re-home him into a non-reef tank and it's my loss. I actually wanted a sailfin tang but I did actually research and know it's not a good fit.

Oh one more note, the beauty is the same size as the yellow tang if not slightly larger.

I have had a coral beauty for 15 years in my 250 gallon reef. He has been a model citizen, unlike the other dwarf angels. He is about 2.5" long and very fat. That is his full grown size. Your yellow tangs will get as big as a saucer and even my 250 is barely big enough for them. Your angel is stressed out about something, maybe the tangs, but it could be even a reflection on the glass.

Back
Top Bottom