Server Move

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfreek

Aquarium Advice Addict
Aquariumadvice is on the move. Tonight we will be switching over to a new server. We ask for everyones corporation and understanding during this move.

I ask that everyone not upload photos to our photogallery nor upload photos to the discussion board between now and tomorrow morning. The reason for this is because I want to try to limit how many files are lost in the move and images uploaded to both of those locations will be one of the first things lost. Once we have transitioned to the new server you may once again upload files like before.

Tonight I will be moving the database over to the new server. The database is where all of your user information and our message's are stored. I will try to do this as quickly as I can but any messages made between when I take a snapshot of the database and when we move occurs will be lost. If you find a post you made missing this is probably why. Please just repost it as best you can after we have made the transition.

Please continue to access the site via either www.aquariumadvice.com or www.aquariumadvice.com/index.php thru out the duration of the move. Once we are ready a redirection script will be put into place that will send you to our new temporary address. Please do NOT bookmark this temporary address as we will once gain have our regular address back in 24-72 hours.

We have been working all day making sure things are working on the new server but im sure there is something we forgot. Please post any errors you get here in this thread. Once they have been taken care of we will post an update. Please do not double or triple report issues as it will only slow us down in correcting them. If you see someone else has reported something not working you can be sure we are aware and are working to resolve the issue.

If all goes well you as a user will hardly notice the difference.

Once again we wish to thank you for your cooperation during this transition.

Correction to the above.

We have set permissions to not allow uploads on this server at this point. This way we can begin to migrate for the final time images from the gallery and the discussion board.

Users will once gain be able to upload files once we make the transition later tonight.

Ok. As of 9:30PM we are on the new server.

The photo gallery does not work and will not work till DNS updates for you.

Update.

The following things are KNOWN to not work at this point. They will work in the future just not tonight.

File attachments

Review script

Small error in the calculators script

Chat script will complain about not being registered (This is because its registred to aquariumadvice.com and once DNS updates for you that message will go away)

Some people may experence issues with having to login alot. Once DNS updates this should go away.

DNS updates...

Who is updated and who is still waiting?

I got my DNS updated sometime this afternoon.

One way to tell is if DNS has not updated your not seeing the banners at the top of the page and the URL in your browser is pointed to http://server1.quality-web-hosting.net/... vs our normal URL.

here's the odd bit.. i noticed mine got updated this afternoon... but now I'm back to the .net host.

Once we feel most peoples DNS has updated we will change the path on the outgoing e-mails and on how the site generates its internal URL's. Right now its still generating the temp URL for those who have not had their DNS update. I looked on the old site and we are still getting hits over there relatively frequent.

Ok folks, the attachment feature should be working now again.

Thanks to Tim for having a problem with his style. He made me notice one of the styles did not get uploaded properly so I put those files back up on the server and the attachment feature worked for that style. So i uploaded all the styles again. And now it appears to be working again.

Hrmm. Tis 10:40 pm EST and still no DNS update. Should things be taking this long?

It can take up to 72 hours from when we change the DNS settings. I changed them last night at 9:30ish.

Hopefully your ISP will update tonight at or close to midnight. If they do then your set. If not then it might be sometime over the night tonight. Or sometime tommorow.

At this point its all up to how often your ISP or even your ISP's ISP updates their DNS tables. For those who are not fimular with what DNS is I can explain.

Every computer on the internet has a number address assigned to it. For example one computer might be 44.2.35.43. Well we cant remember numbers very well but we can remember words. So there is a system that allows us to use words to assocated to a computers number. for example www.mywebsite.com might equil the number of the computer above. If you move your site to a new computer the number changes. So you have to change the entry in the DNS to reflect this.

There is no 1 central DNS location for the world so there are thousands of DNS servers serving all the internet users. It takes 1-3 days for the changes to make their way around the world.

Not sure if it was the update Fishfreek was suggesting, but something cable modem users can try.

Unplug the cable modem. Turn of the computer. Plug the modem back in and restart the computer. It forces the DNS to update.

Cheers
Steve

For those who did nto have the update last evening has it updated for you today? Please speak up if DNS has not updated for you.

I serously want to make the final conversion and change some internal things but cant till the majoriy you have updated.

Server: ns0.dwcss.com
Address: 216.199.29.???#53

Non-authoritative answer:
aquariumadvice.com nameserver = ns2.quality-web-hosting.net.
aquariumadvice.com nameserver = ns1.quality-web-hosting.net.

Authoritative answers can be found from:
aquariumadvice.com nameserver = ns2.quality-web-hosting.net.
aquariumadvice.com nameserver = ns1.quality-web-hosting.net.

Is this what it is supposed to be?

FYI, I'm still sitting on server1.quality-web-hosting.net. *sigh*

12:30 pm EST

Back
Top Bottom