Setting up 30 gallon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deborah

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Getting the 30g set up today. Husband is at ace purchasing the ammonia for a fishless cycle. So much has changed since the late 80's! No more run the tank and kill the fish. Gotta love progress....sometimes.

Are you going to be using any seeded material from an established tank?
I recently set up a 30 gallon I bought off craigslist and started it on the 1st of this month. I didn't check for NitrItes until about the 10-11th day and got a reading as well as nitrAtes. I didn't use any seeded material but thats because I didn't really get the chance. Hopefully you get this going sooner than I did.

I have a 60g running but not completely cycled. It had been running with no fish for months. I did get a new filter system buy kept the undergravel plates and rock in place. Can I use some of the gravel from the 60g to seed the 30g?
As of this morning (for the 60g)
PH 7.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 5
Nitrate 40
The ammonia for the new tank is labeled 10%. Do you have an estimate of how much to use in the 30g to get the ammonia level up to 4ppm?

Just make sure you don't add a full capful of ammonia like I did my first time, I spent 2-3 days doing small water changes to get it low.

As far as using the gravel from the other tank, I don't know maybe someone else can help with that question.

I just pour ammonia on the cap until it fills the part and I read about 3-4 ppm

I probably would have started with a capful too. Thanks for the warning!

Back
Top Bottom