Setting up a 10gal for fishless cycling - ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Copplanes

Aquarium Advice Activist
Looking for just about anything in the realm of advice. I'm setting up a 10 gallon tank for my Betta and I've never successfully cycled a tank before. I need to know what kind of substrate, light, etc. I should invest in.
I want to get the hardscape set up today. Should I wait until after my cycle has completed to add plants?
What should I plant? Is sand a good substrate? Should I use straight ammonia for bacteria food?
Thanks in advance!

First are you using fish food as amonia or pure amonia. I would go against the sand it can make things a lot more difficult. My suggestion for plants would be java ferns and some Moss balls.

First are you using fish food as amonia or pure amonia. I would go against the sand it can make things a lot more difficult. My suggestion for plants would be java ferns and some Moss balls.

i could use any of those things: i have no idea what's best

i like the look of the sand but i don't want to deal with more problems than i need!

Your choice of plants depends on the lighting. Stock fluorescent or LEDs? If so, stick with low light plants. Go ahead and plant now. The plants will consume some of the ammonia.
Be sure to use ammonia that is dye, perfume, and detergent free if you go that route.
How often are you testing the water?
Sand is fine with plants.

IMG_5853.jpggot a moss ball, java fern, cardinal plant, fertilizer, substrate, tabs, and i'm going back to petco tomorrow to grab a c02 kit and light.
what kind of kit and light should i get?

Back
Top Bottom