Setting up a 20 gallon / will be a cycle log!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
picture_117 said:
Sorry to ask this here but, if nitrites are really high does that mean anything? Nitrites aren't completely gone yet.

NitrItes being high shows you have a good colony of ammonia > no2 bacteria. At that point it's about sticking with the cycle until the no2 > no3 bacteria catches up with the first type and always drops ammonia and nitrIte to zero within 24hrs of adding your ammonia.

Pwc's can help (potentially) shave a couple days off...but are not necessary to do often at all. The guide in my signature should cover it for you. ;)

Last edited:
Sorry didn't see I wrote Nitrites -___-

I meant NitrAtes!! My Nitrites are already falling.

My nitrAtes is what's really high about 120 ppm.
Yes that guide has been my bible lol.

picture_117 said:
Sorry didn't see I wrote Nitrites -___-

I meant NitrAtes!! My Nitrites are already falling.

My nitrAtes is what's really high about 120 ppm.
Yes that guide has been my bible lol.

The nitrAtes are basically the end result of the nitrogen cycle. The fact they're building up is a great sign that you have a ton of beneficial bacteria converting the ammonia > nitrIte > nitrAte. If your nitrItes have already spiked off the charts, and are now on their way down...that's a fantastic sign that you're just about done and it's almost time for fish :)

eco23 said:
The nitrAtes are basically the end result of the nitrogen cycle. The fact they're building up is a great sign that you have a ton of beneficial bacteria converting the ammonia > nitrIte > nitrAte. If your nitrItes have already spiked off the charts, and are now on their way down...that's a fantastic sign that you're just about done and it's almost time for fish :)

Thanks for the help!
Just what I wanted to hear, can't wait!!!

Whoops, I didn't realize who's thread we're on, so sorry for hijacking the thread. The same information applies though for anyone doing a fishless cycle.

Just one last thing to mention...at the stage where nitrIte drops on it's own...that is the time the pH is most likely to crash. Make sure you are very vigilant about testing pH at this time, and do a large water change if you see the pH level falling.

eco23 said:
Whoops, I didn't realize who's thread we're on, so sorry for hijacking the thread. The same information applies though for anyone doing a fishless cycle.

Just one last thing to mention...at the stage where nitrIte drops on it's own...that is the time the pH is most likely to crash. Make sure you are very vigilant about testing pH at this time, and do a large water change if you see the pH level falling.

Yeah sorry! Didn't mean for this to be multiple post question. Oops!

Okay will do. Thanks for the advice!

---

No problem, this is all helpful information!!!!

Todays results

Ammo - 3ppm
Nitri - .25
Nitra - 4.0 ppm
ph: (hard for me to determine)
15pjwgp.jpg

Todays results

Ammo - 3ppm
Nitri - .25
Nitra - 4.0 ppm
ph: (hard for me to determine)
15pjwgp.jpg

Is the tube in the pic the nitrIte tube? if so it looks at least 2 to me, not .25 (.25 is a bluish-purple). Also nitrAtes might be higher than 4? I think the lowest reading on the chart aside from 0 is 5 (which is a light orange).

Is the tube in the pic the nitrIte tube? if so it looks at least 2 to me, not .25 (.25 is a bluish-purple). Also nitrAtes might be higher than 4? I think the lowest reading on the chart aside from 0 is 5 (which is a light orange).

its the pH... fifteeeeen

brittanykluss said:
Todays

ammo- 2.0
nitri- .25
nitra- 5.0
ph- 8.2

Almost there, just don't let it drop below 1. I'm sure you're anxious. Have you thought of your stocking?

Almost there, just don't let it drop below 1. I'm sure you're anxious. Have you thought of your stocking?

Yes! Bolivian ram, dwarf gourami, 6 harlequin rasbora, 4 ottos. I have it pretty well planted I plan on adding more taller plants o break the line of sight for the bigger fish

Woo Dwarf Gourami! I also like the rasboras and ottos. Do you plan on getting any snails?

I just finished adding the rest of my sand and plants to my 20g lol.

No no plan on getting snails. My boyfriend is cycling a tank to put a dwarf puffer in it he plans on snails

brittanykluss said:
ammo- 2.0
nitri- .50
nitra- 10

it's dropped 2 ppm of ammonia in 24 hr :)

I really don't want to get into this again...but remember what we said on the other thread. Stability can cause conversion and make the tank appear to be cycled. Since this is happening so quickly...it basically shows it is NOT the true nitrifying bacteria making the tank look cycled...it is the "substitute" bacteria in the cycling product (since we've shown the Stability does not have the true nitrifiers).

I'm not going to argue about this again, but all I ask is that when the tank appears to be fully cycled...add only a few fish at first. Don't go crazy and stock the tank full of fish all at once. If / when the other bacteria stops doing it's job, if there are lots of fish in the tank it will be asking for trouble if the true nitrifying bacteria have not established themselves like they would have during a normal fishless cycle.

I really don't want to get into this again...but remember what we said on the other thread. Stability can cause conversion and make the tank appear to be cycled. Since this is happening so quickly...it basically shows it is NOT the true nitrifying bacteria making the tank look cycled...it is the "substitute" bacteria in the cycling product (since we've shown the Stability does not have the true nitrifiers).

I'm not going to argue about this again, but all I ask is that when the tank appears to be fully cycled...add only a few fish at first. Don't go crazy and stock the tank full of fish all at once. If / when the other bacteria stops doing it's job, if there are lots of fish in the tank it will be asking for trouble if the true nitrifying bacteria have not established themselves like they would have during a normal fishless cycle.

I know what your saying, and I appreciate what I think is your concern. But im just testing the product im fully aware of the gamble. I actually dont plan on getting the fish right after its cycled Im still going to wait and see if anything happens because it is cycling very fast.

brittanykluss said:
I know what your saying, and I appreciate what I think is your concern. But im just testing the product im fully aware of the gamble. I actually dont plan on getting the fish right after its cycled Im still going to wait and see if anything happens because it is cycling very fast.

Good deal. The reason I feel it's important to mention is because one of the benefits of fishless cycling is the ability to fully stock your tank immediately after it's cycled using pure ammonia. In other words, the day after your cycle completes you can go out and buy every single fish you plan on permanently keeping in your aquarium...and add them in all at once. If you did that here, and the other bacteria decided to quit on you...you're gonna have one heck of a toxin spike and basically be doing a fish-in cycle with lots of fish pumping out ammonia. That's why stocking lightly and slowly is a good idea here even though it's technically a fishless cycle.

Again, I'm not saying it always happens...but in my experience I have seen it happen many, many times and I don't want you in a tough spot if you happen to be one of the unfortunate ones.

Back
Top Bottom