setting up a puffer tank in a 20 Long! need advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

exodus

Aquarium Advice Freak
I figured since we got some puffers in (I work at my LFS) that it was time for a brackish puffer tank. We got figure 8's and spotted puffers, and I'm leaning towards maybe 2 figure eights (they're all in one tank now at the store with no noticible agression).

I got an Aquaclear 30 to do the filtering of this bad boy, which is where one of my questions comes in - I have two established freshwater tanks already running, can I use some filter media from the two on the new brackish tank or am I looking to cycle this one?

I'm quite pleased, I got the tank, filter, heater, hydrometer and marine salt for $68 out the door. Now I just need to know the answer to that filter question and I can see how soon I'm gunna be on my way with the new puffers :D

Also, can any other fish be kept with puffers? I know they'll eat anything small as I've witnessed it many times, but what about bottom dwellers and such?

Thanks!

You can use filter media from a FW tank for brackish, no problems.
tank, filter, heater, hydrometer and marine salt for $68
I picked up a 30 long, cabinet stand, hood w/light, double Whisper hob filter, gravel, (but no heater), divider, background, few other odd accessories at a yard sale for $65. :D :moon:
Have you seen this site:
http://www.thepufferforum.com

I've never done a bracksih tnak personally, I know you can do mollies, a fan dance goby which is a bottom dweller, thats really all I can think of for that size tank, the goby is really cool though

Dude Figure 8's are freshwater!? And despit that they only grow to 6cm so Pictus, Bristles, even larger cories like sterbai or brochis emeralds etc will be fine

Liveaquaria.com has them listed as brackish?

Oh, also - Will normal freshwater plants tolerate brackish waters?

No they are definately freshwater, all fish will tolerate somes salts with few execptions. Salt slows the osmatic process in freshwater fish, making them more tolerant and more resistant to bacterial and fungal infections. The amount of 1 teaspoon per gallon is slight, a standard aquarium hydrometer won't register even 1 tablespoon per gallon. A true brackish tank has a much higher specific gravity then what puffers require. Although they may live quite happily in brackish water, there is not point in wasting time and effort to attain this when you want plants and other tankmates with them too. My advice, pH neutral, 1 teaspoon salt per gallon, gH 6 to 15 and heaps of plants to break up territories.

Well, I currently have two of them in my 20L, and they arent bothering each other a bit. Of course, the water is cloudy as hell because of the sand I just put in, but such is life..

Just remember to monitor the ammonia/nitrite levels until the tank is well-established. I'd toss in a big clump of java moss as well, to help things along.

toddnbecka said:
Just remember to monitor the ammonia/nitrite levels until the tank is well-established. I'd toss in a big clump of java moss as well, to help things along.

Yup, i bought a master test kit tonight as well, so I got it covered.

hey.. i've kept a brackish water tank now for about 5 years. ALL pufferfish are brackish or marine water fish, with the exception of dwarf puffers which are freshwater! i started with 5 spotted green puffers, 3 scats, 2 fingerfish, and they all lived fine together (i even started them all in 20g long tank....talk about packing sardines:). right now im down to 3 puffers 1 scat, an archer, and 4 wasp fish(or butterfly gobies, only about 3/4") even a couple of straggler guppies that survived Archy, now in a 55g. I've had no problems with territorial puffers, they are pretty mild mannered, as long as you keep them well fed, remember a fat puffer is a happy puffer! they do get curious and chase the smaller fish but they dont seem interested in them too much. they will demolish snails(their main staple). As far as water chemistry I keep my ph at 8, thats not hard too maintain as long as you use MARINE SALT! Lots of people will tell you aquarium salt is sufficient...but its not! Fresh water destroys the liver functions of brackish water fish over time. usually within a month for puffers.youll seen them slowly darken eventually to black, before they puff and die. the act of puffing is extremely stressful for puffs and ive only seen it done once. I tried keeping puffers in a "brackish" tank using only aquarium salt. at least a half dozen puffs have died b/c of my mis-education:(! poor guys. I've even seen spotted greens, and figure 8's kept in pure sea water and i'll tell you they looked great! I keep my salinity at 14 , but i am striving for a little higher maybe about 20. as far as plants, you could get away with java moss, but only at an extremely low salinity. hardly brackish water. the only plant that will tolerate salt are the mangroves, which are available to hobbyists, they do grow extremely large, however there are techniques though to keep them small, kinda like a bonsai. you might wanna stick to plastic, i know it sux but its easiest. I run a penn plax cascade 1000 canister filter. Remember that most of these fish are voracious eaters and make a lot of poops! therefore i overfilter, regular cleaning is a must, every once in a while, a 50% with a thorough vaccuuming. to make a long story short , YES you can use filter media from an established tank and thats probably best. I hope I gave you some good info, and your best bet for more is too research natural brackish water habitats (such as the mangrove estuaries), and NOT "brackish water" in the aquarium!

pufferfish are the ones without scales that will try to wedge themselves in gravel and cut themsleves up, while being a nuisance to much larger fish

Back
Top Bottom