setting up a used 55 any suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crusch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got a 55 gallon tank from my buddy. It had 2 sick looking Oscars, a pleco and a gold fish. When I picked it up i took every thing out dumped his gravel because I'm going with sand. anybody have any suggestions that i should be doing to clean and sterilize this tank? Also I'm sure i should put the sand in the tank before water? I've never set up a sand tank and want to do everything just right. any input would be greatly appreciated!! thank you, crusch84

yes add sand before water, fill about 10 gallons add the decor.

when adding water to a sandbed tank, use a dinner plate to not disrupt the sand.

to clean, bleach and dechlor a few times, bleach once.

I go by glugs but if you have a good dechlor like sodium theosulfate you can put in 100 glugs and 1 glug of water and the ST will eliminate the bleach by products and residues.

yes add sand before water, fill about 10 gallons add the decor.

when adding water to a sandbed tank, use a dinner plate to not disrupt the sand.

to clean, bleach and dechlor a few times, bleach once.

I go by glugs but if you have a good dechlor like sodium theosulfate you can put in 100 glugs and 1 glug of water and the ST will eliminate the bleach by products and residues.

Thats about what I figured! Thank you for your help!!

also get yourself a HAIR PIK from the store, tie it to the end of the gravel vac and there you have your combing and stirring all while vacuuming.

NO funny business I truly get ZERO sand out of my tank at WC time.

also get yourself a HAIR PIK from the store, tie it to the end of the gravel vac and there you have your combing and stirring all while vacuuming.

NO funny business I truly get ZERO sand out of my tank at WC time.

Thats great thinking, Thank you! when you stir up the sand how long would it take for the common sand to settle? Would it stir up enough to make it to the pump pickups?

another option is people use chop sticks at the end of the gravel vac. its not like you do it so much that it kicks it up just move it around some to break up any pockets.

another option is people use chop sticks at the end of the gravel vac. its not like you do it so much that it kicks it up just move it around some to break up any pockets.

You've all been so much help! what color of sand do you guys have? lets see some pics!!!

To get off the hard water stains in a tank or on tops and lights, white vinegar works wonderful! If you have spots on the empty tank that just will not come off, just soak the spot in vinegar for a little while and it will wipe right off. Just make sure you rinse really well when done. :)

To get off the hard water stains in a tank or on tops and lights, white vinegar works wonderful! If you have spots on the empty tank that just will not come off, just soak the spot in vinegar for a little while and it will wipe right off. Just make sure you rinse really well when done. :)

Thank you, looks like I'm going to need some vinegar!

I put mine in a big tub and ran a hose in it then dumped it out. Had to rinse and refill it about 3 or 4 times. Not bad at all. No clouding in my tank whatsoever and my fish love it. My cichlids love to dig.

I just got a 55 off craigslist Sunday. Try to get som pics up once u get it setup. I can tell all ready it's gonna b nice.

Thanks guys I'll do my best and post up some pics! I got Pool filter sand last night and I now have it cycling! can't wait

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom