Setting up an 80L

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paracyte

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought a second hand 80L tank (20? Gallons) yesterday for $5, can't complain.
Tested it for leaks, fixed a chip or 2, but it all seems good. Gave it a good clean with vinegar and scraped some white build up on the side of the glass but it's just about ready (I think...) to start cycling.

My main question is filter related. I want to set up a freshwater tank, tropical, with platys, tetras and a cichlid. I suspect this will definitely be at capacity for the tank size (please correct me if I'm wildly mistaken on my estimates), and I obviously need an appropriate tank for the stock levels.

The tank will be in my room, so noise is a factor, but once I'm used to it I'm sure I can sleep through it.
Money is a factor, but only in that I will have to wait to get it if it's dear.
Size is somewhat of a factor. I can hide a canister filter if that is most appropriate, but not easily, nor neatly.

I don't really want an internal filter due to tank real estate. I suspect HOB will be my best option BUT what one fits my bill!?

This will be a planted tank, can someone explain to me how the plants are expected to get c02? Will I need a special thing for this? Do they (miraculously?) survive without c02? Air pumps? I know I need a heater but I haven't gotten that far into my research yet.

So many questions, all I wanted to ask was the filter question...

I did get a filter with my tank, but he didn't explain what it was or how to use it. I think it's an air filter... it looks identical to this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a8/Internal_filter2.jpg/375px-Internal_filter2.jpg
However has some foam, and some plastic balls inside it instead of gravel. He also gave me an air pump, I think. Both have been used in tank set ups that ended up dying, and sat in disgusting water until he pulled them out to give to me. I didn't really want them, but they were free, and he was nice. Could they be riddled with disease?

Ending this now as it is already a wall of text.

Back
Top Bottom