Setting up an Aqua C Remora Pro WITHOUT directions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrsfuller2572

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am sorry to be a pain, however...My dear hubby got a great deal on ebay for a 1 yr. old gently used Aqua C Remora Pro skimmer.
However, no directions included.
In the box (which just arrived moments ago) was:
1.Hang on skimmer itself with little clear removable box that fits on the top ( Iassume this is the yuck removal chamber)
2. 1 Maxijet 1200 powerhead with a clear piece of soft rubber hose attatched.

SO, if I hang the skimmer on the rear of the tank using the obvious plastic 'shelf' thing on the front...then do I attatch the powerhead to the skimmer using the rubber hose and just plug it in while the powerhead just dangles in the water???
Once I get this guy rolling, then I can take a jaunt to the LFS and get my LR to add so I can officially begin cycling (yes, without fish).
HHHHEEEEELLLLLLPPP!!!
Thanks.
I'm so glad we can ask questions like this and not actually know each other. I'm so embarrassed.

I'm so glad we can ask questions like this and not actually know each other. I'm so embarrassed.

Don't be! We were all where you are now and have learned from other's input. I am sure you aren't the only one with that question.

As for the answer, I don't know, I don't run a skimmer! LOL!!
I just wanted to let you know, people here will be more than willing to help!

Yes the pump just dangles there, it gets supported by the skimmer.

When that pump was new it would have come with two plastic clamps on the short piece of hose, one to clamp the hose to the skimmer and the other to clamp the pump to the hose. They help to make a good connections between the parts.
Just another note for down the road, you can get the pre filter box and upgrade the pump to a mag 3 this will up the performance of the remora pro.

Do you have any circulation pumps set up yet, you want to circulate 15 to 20 times the tanks volume, some people may even say more then that.
You want these so you do not get any dead spots.

next question, what size is this tank and what do you plan on putting in this tank?
what are you doing for substrate?
Is the lr your getting cured or uncured?

In addition to the maxijet 1200 that came with the skimmer, I have 2 other maxi jet 1200's, for a total of three in the tank.
The tank is a 55g. Maxijets are as follows, one on the back with skimmer, the other two are in opposite corners (near left corner and far right corner), with circulation in a criss-cross pattern.
I plan on reff with a few fishes.
Substrate is 40lbs. of aragonate LS (not yet added, but purchsed and ready to go).
Yes, definately cured LR...not yet purchased. That will be my next step. LFS says $8.99/lb. for Fiji cured LR. Anyone know of a better deal?
How's that?

I would have the PHs point at eachother, at each end of the tank like you already have. That might be different for reefs, I'm not a reefer.
I think you might look into more LS as well... I have about 60-75LBs in mine (I lost track because I added it at different times).

So do you already have the water in the tank? I would add the sand, slowly add the water and then the LR and skimmer. Let the sand settle and you are well on your way. If you already have the water in the tank, some use PVC to add the sand without the sand storm. I put my sand in a bowl, let it slowly fill up with water, then let it sink to the bottom and pour out the sand...of course, you might want to think about turning off everything electric in the tank, just in case the heater breaks or something like that.....

As for the LR, some folks recommend hirocks.com . I just went to their site, it looks like it is just base rock. You might need some actual LR to seed the tank and rest for the rock. I spent the extra $ at my LFS (about the same price as yours), because I could select the pieces. I'm sure others can give props to the places they have bought LR from.

Mrsfuller2572 said:
LFS says $8.99/lb. for Fiji cured LR. Anyone know of a better deal?
If looking for cheap live rock checkout intmarinefish.com which has lr for as little as $3-$4 per lb shipped.

Couple of more places with quality lr:
www.liverocknreef.com
www.liveaquaria.com
www.tampabaysaltwater.com

Mixing base rock like the kind from www.hirocks.com with lr will help save more money but isn't going to look as pretty. The base rock will become "live" bacterial wise within a month or two but it takes a year or two to get the color of the lr.

At liveaquaria.com you get get what they call fiji foundation rock for about $3/lb shipped. Nice rock i just purchased some.

You might want to add one more ph for more circulation once you add the lr you might get some dead spots, you can wait to find out.

Also you can think about putting your lr on pvc platforms this will eliminate dead stops from occurring which ammonia can built up in, which can happen when you bury lr in sand.

If using cured lr then to help the cycle i would add a couple of raw shrimp.

just to let you know, theres lr on ebay. the seller is called reefsupplies. i have purchased from them in the past and will do it again in the future... $1.99 for their cheapest. the best part is if you have an airport that youre willing to drive to, to pick it up, shipping is only $20. as for the rock, its decent, and you cant beat that price.

Back
Top Bottom