Setting up my new tank!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jae26

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys I just bought a new 36 gallon tank and I already have a 20 gallon I basically did a upgrade. I know the concept of transferring fish to the new tank but I'm seeking some better advise but i do have some basic questions like do I need to start the cycling process completely over? Or should I use most of my old tank water and substrate as well and let the tank run for a few days or week etc.... Thanks for your help I'm still fairly new to the hobby

If your 20g had been established for quite sometime, there should be a substantial amount of beneficial bacteria housed within the bio media in the filter. Are you updating the filter too? You can "seed" the new filter with established media and you'll probably just go through a mini cycle. You should have an API freshwater master test kit on hand to test your parameters along the transition to know when you'll need to do quick partial water changes in case you get any spikes in ammonia (depending on how stocked you are). I would say within the first month would be your critical phase where things should be monitored closely. Don't buy any new fish yet. However, if you plan to go planted, this would be a good time to plant live plants to help with any cycle (silent cycle or mini cycle, what have you).

I would transfer everything from your 20 to your 36, most importantly the filter, the water itself isn't as important as most of the beneficial bacteria is in your filter, some on your substrate and anything else you have in there. Should be instantly cycled then, no need to start it all over.

Thanks for your help guys I will keep you posted on how things are going....

I am updating my filter as well.... I was definitely planning on seeding the filters for the beneficial bacteria needed. If for reason I do go through a mini cycle will that hurt my fish at all? I'm not stocked heavy at all at least not for the new tank I have a small school of neon tetras 1 angel and a couple other tetras.....

I am updating my filter as well.... I was definitely planning on seeding the filters for the beneficial bacteria needed. If for reason I do go through a mini cycle will that hurt my fish at all? I'm not stocked heavy at all at least not for the new tank I have a small school of neon tetras 1 angel and a couple other tetras.....

Shouldn't kill anything off or nothing. I would run both filters at the same time until the new one is seeded to be on the safe side

I actually wanted to get a bio wheel filter i heard so much talk about how good they were so I thought I would give it a try but I ran across a sweet deal on this particular tank (aqueon) which basically has the same filter as my 20 so I'm just going to seed the 2 and run them at the same time. That wouldn't be to much filtration right?

Back
Top Bottom