Sexing convicts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skeeter84

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First off sorry if this is repetitive.... I have a couple of questions for you guys that know your cichlids. I have 2 convict cichlids. I have only had them for a couple of weeks. I couldnt find a clear way on the internet to sex them.. maybe someone could help me. Both of them have red patches on their bellies, gold / blue fins. One of them is slightly larger, and has darker black stripes. The small ones colors are slightly duller. Do the red patches on the bellies and gold / blue fins exist on both males and females?, or do I have two of the same sex?
Additionally, they have always kindof avoided eachother, the big one chases the smaller one away every once in a while. However, for the past day or so they have been latching and chewing on eachothers mouths, and doing that spinning nipping dance. Are they fighting or doing a mating ritual? Thanks in advance!

I'm going to say that the one with duller stripes is the male. Because my females colors are amazing during breeding, compared to my males which are a lot duller.

Males and females can have the patch so yeah. I'm thinking your duller colored one is the male, other one is a female. It could be possible that you have to females, but I highly agree with my answer.

I dont have either at the moment, and i hope i never do. From what ive been reading, the female convicts have the red bellies?????? They both have red bellies. Most of the day they just chase eachother out of their own little areas, and avoid eachother. But in the morning when i turn on the light, they had dug little ditches and follow eachother around all morning, doing little spins around eachother. Do only breeding pairs do these types of things together?

ive "read" about females laying eggs together the results of coarse are fungused eggs as thsy will be infertile... ya i hope for ur sake they dont... i personally dont like convicts.. sometimes they arent exaclty ideal community residents. i prefer not keep honduran red points. they are more of a "rare" convict reletive.. they stay a little smaller, are alot more peacefull and are a lot more prettier. and as a plus can be easier to place than ur way too common convict. they are like the guppies of cichlids imo

Thanks for your replies. Ive only had these guys for about 2-3 weeks now. Everyday they look more and more alike. From what ive seen, the males have less coloration and the head bump. Both of mine have red, gold and blue in them, and for the most part are making their own little caves. *knock on wood*.... im about to put my new diy caves in there, well see what happens.

It sounds like you have two females... my males have never shown a red belly and if you DID have a male and a female, there would be a pit dug already and you would be blessed with a batch of fry by now.

The last time I brought cons home, they literally began the courtship process within five minutes of being released from the plastic bag... Seriously, this is no exaggeration.

Males are almost always bigger. They are less colorful. The females will have an orange/yellow botch on thier sides and a bright blue gill plate.

Awesome. I was getting worried. Guess well see what happens

Awesome, greatly appreciated, I currently have 3 at about a half inch, I cant wait...arg

Hi i currently have 2 convicts, the female is absolutly beautiful..Her colours are amazing.Big reddish/orange belly, electric blue colours at the tips of her fins...I have a male, he is a couple months younger than the female, he has no different colouring like the female..I think they have paired off, just wandering if the age difference would make a difference for breeding? He was alot smaller than the female when i got him but he is shooting up to her size, maybe half her size already..

my male jack dempsey is half the size of my female and they have had two batches of fry, so i think your convicts should be fine.

Male convicts very rarely have red on their belly. Convict cichlids are reverse dimorphic, the female has much more color than the male. In a perfect world male convicts have long pointy dorsal and anal fins and are larger than the females. Females are smaller, more compact, rounder belly, less elongated fins, and more importantly have lots of orange color on their bellies. Wild convicts, which are very seldom ever seen in the hobby anymore, have alot more color including some blue and greens mixed in with the orange. Convicts are easily one of the simplest fish to sex, if yours look alike they are two females.

Back
Top Bottom