Sexing Ram Cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davies97

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is this Ram Cichlid Male or Female

image-4158422061.jpg

So it's a bit blurry taken on iPod

Juvenile male. Showing his stress bars...was this just after being put into the tank? If not, what is tank temp?

Yes it was taken about 3 hours after releasing into tank. Stress bars?

"Stress bars" is the common name for the dark vertical bands that are seen on numerous cichlids from South America. They are usually only seen under times of stress such as being moved into a new tank, poor water quality, improper temperature range, bothersome tankmates, etc. I figured that it was either recently moved to a new tank or in water that was too warm. Rams that are kept in water that is too cold for them tend to stay at the bottom and be lethargic rather than swimming around like the fish in the pic.

Ok Thanks but i think that rainbow rams have these bars at all times because the other fish at the pet store had them to

They don't. I am VERY familiar with this fish (Microgeophagus ramirezi) and they don't show them all of the time. Cichlids only showed them when stressed...it's like a camo technique.

Ok di you think that these fish would attack a guppys tail and ripend and also make small holes in the tail

No, these fish are not aggressive. The only time you will see them going after other fish is when they spawn, but after the threat leaves the territory, the rams will stop chasing. They are basically all show and won't really hurt anything.

Ok have you got any ideas how to remove stress bars they do look cool but i want whats best for the fish.

Ok have you got any ideas how to remove stress bars they do look cool but i want whats best for the fish.

mine have recently got these as well which i find strange because they didnt have them for the first few months i had them

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom