sexy shrimp and corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishCrzy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone!

I have a nano reef tank with several different corals and some chaeto. Pretty small, two gallons in size.

I bought a couple of sexy shrimp for it, but have noticed that they walk all over my corals and make them close. Is this bad for my corals?

Thor amboinensis, Sexy Shrimp, are omnivorous and scavengers at that. Although very beautiful and interesting creatures, I have noticed they will pick at corals (especially noticeable in smaller systems) even if food availability is high. Do take notice whether they are just making the corals close or actually consuming tissue. Either way, you've noticed the corals are already agitated.

Crap.. all the websites I looked at said they were not coral eaters.. now how do I get the stupid things out? :(

I'd first make sure they are actually consuming tissue or not. If they are new additions it will take some time for the corals to adjust to playing host, just as long as the disturbance isn't causing actual damage.

How do I tell if they are getting tissue? I can't see any damage on the corals.. but they do sit on them and act like they're eating, though if they are just cleaning them or if they are actually eating them I can't tell..

It might look like they are picking at them but they might just be cleaning fish waste or algea that is in them. As James said observe them and see if they are actually doing anything.

Well it seems like they are getting along a little better now. The shrimp can actually sit on polyps and not make them close. Probably a few more days and the corals won't even notice anymore.

They don't appear to be munching on the tissue itself, just cleaning bits off.

Thanks for your help. :)

Back
Top Bottom