Sexy Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
I didn't notice a thread specifically for info and showing off your pics, but it looks like it would be fun.

Dingus' Sexy Shrimp in his 3g tank vid made me positive I wanted them in the tank. Dingus, if you read this, link your video here!

For a 5G how many would be alright and which other shrimp will work in there? And if there are other shrimp, how many total should there be?

Do Sexy Shrimp reproduce in captivity?

I have little knowledge on sexies; but, i do believe they like to be in odd numbers, for some reason. i think 3 would work good!

I didn't notice a thread specifically for info and showing off your pics, but it looks like it would be fun.

Dingus' Sexy Shrimp in his 3g tank vid made me positive I wanted them in the tank. Dingus, if you read this, link your video here!

For a 5G how many would be alright and which other shrimp will work in there? And if there are other shrimp, how many total should there be?

Do Sexy Shrimp reproduce in captivity?

Sexy Shrimp are amazing! They are so much fun to watch - each one has a personality :). For a 5g you could do 5 or even 7, since from what I heard they like odd numbered groups (I only have two, by they're a mated pair.)

Glad you saw the video! Link: http://youtu.be/n-3OQbjW8zc

The female I have had eggs when I bought her, and is carrying some more now. Since I have a male, technically they could have babies but 99% of the time with sexies no larvae will survive since they must be free floating for about a week (they almost always get eaten or killed.) It is possible to successfully raise the young, but it would be difficult.

Sexy Shrimp are amazing! They are so much fun to watch - each one has a personality :). For a 5g you could do 5 or even 7, since from what I heard they like odd numbered groups (I only have two, by they're a mated pair.)

Glad you saw the video! Link: 3 gallon JBJ Picotope Pico Nano Reef - YouTube

The female I have had eggs when I bought her, and is carrying some more now. Since I have a male, technically they could have babies but 99% of the time with sexies no larvae will survive since they must be free floating for about a week (they almost always get eaten or killed.) It is possible to successfully raise the young, but it would be difficult.

Thanks for posting the link!

Also the info on the larval stage for the babies. hmmmmm... :brows:

If you had a prefilter like with FW shrimp maybe a better chance to survive and no other predators.

Did you say the spots on the back will tell which is male and Female? If so which is which?

Gonna try and learn more about that.

Thanks for posting the link!

Also the info on the larval stage for the babies. hmmmmm... :brows:

If you had a prefilter like with FW shrimp maybe a better chance to survive and no other predators.

Did you say the spots on the back will tell which is male and Female? If so which is which?

Gonna try and learn more about that.

No problem! And yeah, what I mean is that it would be very hard to raise the babies in a stocked reef. If you had a dedicated setup to raise the larvae I'm sure it couldn't be that hard - sounds like you know a lot more about shrimp raising than I. The first problem would be catching the eggs as soon as they hatch lol, or maybe you could just keep the parents in an environment as soon as they showed eggs. I would do a web search, I've seen lots of good resources for raising sexy's!

And about telling the gender of a shrimp:

A broken stripe indicates a female, a solid one means male (and this pic isn't mine.)

Here's a couple of my sexies hiding in a froggie
img_2935375_0_75c1fc3e089bbd58f3d389842d6693d3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

No problem! And yeah, what I mean is that it would be very hard to raise the babies in a stocked reef. If you had a dedicated setup to raise the larvae I'm sure it couldn't be that hard - sounds like you know a lot more about shrimp raising than I. The first problem would be catching the eggs as soon as they hatch lol, or maybe you could just keep the parents in an environment as soon as they showed eggs. I would do a web search, I've seen lots of good resources for raising sexy's!

And about telling the gender of a shrimp:

A broken stripe indicates a female, a solid one means male (and this pic isn't mine.)

Nice pic for whomever took it. I know a reasonable amount about FW and NeoCaridina shrimp but almost 0 about SW lol. This thread is really the content my knowledge bank. :) So lets fill it up!!!

Yesterday I saw a youtube about Sexy shrimp fry and they were EVERY where! I believe it was a 3 or 5G.

So are there any shrimp other than, I am guessing, Banded, which should not be in with Sexy. I would love to have a bunch of inverts in the tank, and am at the point of hoping to pick a few additional stock list hopefuls?

As a side question, is a 5g large enough for a Goby with Sexies, snails and possibly Hermits and which kind(s) of Goby? I am still on the fence about using the 5G Chi tank or the 16G bowfront.

Yesterday I saw a youtube about Sexy shrimp fry and they were EVERY where! I believe it was a 3 or 5G.

So are there any shrimp other than, I am guessing, Banded, which should not be in with Sexy. I would love to have a bunch of inverts in the tank, and am at the point of hoping to pick a few additional stock list hopefuls?

As a side question, is a 5g large enough for a Goby with Sexies, snails and possibly Hermits and which kind(s) of Goby? I am still on the fence about using the 5G Chi tank or the 16G bowfront.

Off the top of my head, coral banded, mantis, and pistols are not safe with other inverts (but that's only for shrimp, many crabs are not reef safe as well, such as gorillas, arrows, emeralds, and Sally lightfoots)

As for fish, you might be able to do a clown goby in a 5g, but if this is your first salt tank I would recommend against it. It is a quite a lot of work to keep the water pristine with a fish in such a small tank.

If you can afford it, the 16 would have quite a bit more fish stocking options! I chose my 3G over a larger tank not because of cost however, but just because I really wanted to keep a pico (personal opinion is a significant factor, of course.)

The 16 will also be a bit easier to maintain, as bigger tanks are often more stable, however on a smaller tank WCs will be easier.

Btw, in a 5g, you could have all the inverts you listed and more. The one piece of advice I have regarding hermits is to be careful - I just got rid of mine, since they had just killed a snail. They do that instinctively, plus all they did was irritate my corals by climbing them and steal food all the time.

Back
Top Bottom