SG of atlantic ocean?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MT79

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a deep six hydrometer. Today I took a sample of water from the beach in Virginia brought it back home w/ me to test for "hmms and hahs" so to speak. My hydrometer read sg 1.013. I run my tank at 1.024 according to the same hydrometer. Does the atlantic have a low sg, or is the hydrometer that far off? Anyone ever test water from the Atlantic? PS- I know I should get a refractometer but it just not in my budget for a month or two. Any info. appreciated.

I tested water from the Atlantic years ago, and salinity was 34 ppm. If you collected the sample recently, there are a few factors involved.
1. It is spring, lots of fw runoff from land.
2. It has been a wet spring around here.
3. how far off shore did you get your sample, and at what depth? Salt water is heavier than fw, so it sinks a bit, the fw from land when enters the ocean it over rides the salt water.
4. one sample is not enough. When sampling, I used to take 4 or 5 readings from the same area, and average.
hth

Also, at this time of year in the philadelphia/jersey shore area the water temp is around 49-50 degrees fahrenheit...even though a deep six hydrometer claims to be temp compensating, I doubt it is accurate at those temps.

Final results: sg 1.013
Alk 2 meg/l
Ca 250
Seems ionically balanced. As mentioned there was some rain and this sample was taken near shore in VA. Water temp. was 72 when tested.

Back
Top Bottom