Sharing my fishkeeping blunders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Water changes are happening every other day. Soon as either ammonia or nitrite get to 0.25ppm it's a 50%pwc.
This seems a better level than the 0.50ppm which I had previously thought safe. No, further problem has developed
with the remaining fish. I think the ammonia spikes (after the first one) were due to the fish that died.

I need some guidance on some green and brown something growing on the ships sail in the picture.
The ship was a Top Fin item for aquariums. I can always cut the sails off and remove them if necessary.
Not sure if the growth is good, bad, or just ugly?

All advice greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 100_1435.jpg
    100_1435.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 55
Looks like algae to me. Are they made out of material or plastic? If made out of plastic, then just scrub with an algae scrubber. If material you should be able to remove and scrub them under tap water in the sink. You can use bleach to clean them but remember to rinse very very well and use dechlorinator.

Success!

As, of Feb. 6, 2009 after 42 days, the 46 gallon tank that started as a disaster is now CYCLED. Waited 3 days to be sure.

Readings:
pH 7.8
ammonia 0.0
nitrIte 0.0
nitrAte 10 - 20ppm

To all who helped with their support, THANK YOU. I greatly appriciate all the advice, thoughts, tricks, and tips you have given to me. You have saved not only the fish but my son much grief as well. So again my thanks.

Back
Top Bottom