Shelf help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sleepybirde

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey all, i'm wanting to set up a small 5gal on one of my shelves. I don't really have a way to know the weight capacity of the shelf, so i was thinking of getting a support of some kind. the problem is this shelf has a closed back, so i can't drill anything into the wall. are there any supports you guys know of that can maybe rest on a lower shelf, supporting the higher one? or would you think i wouldn't need a support at all for this kind of shelf? it currently has a lot of random crap on it that its holding up pretty well, lol. i'm considering putting the 5gal on either the highest or second highest shelf if that helps.

Attachments

• IMG_2909.jpg
    IMG_2909.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 51
I don't know here - can't really think of anything that isn't going to take up most of the shelf with some sort of A frame but I'd just go an buy a stronger shelf with less chance of sag in the centre so not an expert.

That top shelf appears to be pretty well supported if you set the tank in the middle.
A 5 gal. tank and water would weigh about 50 # then add the weight of any substrate and other decorations, it looks like you would be ok. That pressed board is reasonably strong, and the center is supported by two uprights. I personally would go for it as is, but i have been known to do a lot of things other folks wont do LMAO

I wouldn't put any size tank on that. It's cheap material that will literally disintegrate when exposed to water.

This looks like the ahelving I use in my pantry & they eventually bow under the weight of cans so I personally would not risk a tank

Back
Top Bottom