shipping fish -- ok to ship via slow method?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coolchinchilla

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I would like opinions about shipping fish. Can you safely ship by priority mail (2+ days delivery)? There are 3 auctions (below) I'm interested in and they ship by priority mail, not overnight or express or something. I'm sure I can request the faster shipping method, but I wasn't sure if fish could survive the slow shipping very well or if it would be cruel to do that to them. It would be soooooooooooooo much cheaper if I went the slower way ($6 in comparison to $25).

Anyone with experience with shipping fish either sending or receiving? Anyone work at LFSs who can tell me more about shipping in that setting?

Thanks.
coolchinchilla

----------------------------

Links to auctions:
shellies on aquabid
panda corys on ebay
juli corys on ebay

I have made 2 orders online that shipped via priority rather then overnight, they all arrived fine but I think there is a better chance they die. I would go with whatever shipping method the seller will give you an arrive alive guarentee (unless shipping charges will buy you another fish :))

Even packed in a breathing bag (the only way I would even consider risking it), it would be a bit dicey....survival would also be fairly dependant on the species of fish shipped (many species of fish ship so much better than others), and the experience of the shipper. That being said, 2 days would be really pushing it...3 days would pretty much guarantee you dead fish.

Toirtis... and details on what a "breathing bag" is and were someone would buy them?
do you have any good information that could be added to shipping supplies? TIA

I dunno, I think it would be very rough on a poor fish being shipped for 3 days. Just think, the are in the dark (good and bad), water is sloshing around like crazy, anything over 1 day means the temperature has a chance to drastically rise and fall. Heating packs last for only so long. I wouldn't do it, but that is just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom