Shipping live plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I may ship a bundle of java fern plantlets. Obviously shipping live plants is less demanding than live fish, so what exactly do I need?

Correct me if I'm wrong

1. Get flatrate box at USPS
2. Fill ziploc bag with tank water
3. Put plant in bag
4. Use styrofoam for protection
5. Label box as "urgent"
6. Ship

Since its a plant, do I really need the water, maybe I can just justify the bag a little, no?

In that case would I even need styrofoam? Is there a better package I could send it in?

I'd just wrap in wet newspaper, put it in a fish bag with just a bit if water and seal it up. Then ship :) probably priority if you're going with USPS

George9 said:
I'd just wrap in wet newspaper, put it in a fish bag with just a bit if water and seal it up. Then ship :) probably priority if you're going with USPS

Hmmm where could I get a fish bag?

Bobjoefredsky said:
Hmmm where could I get a fish bag?

Well, it doesn't actually have to be a fish bag. I tKe that back. I'd use two ziplocks and put the one bag (containing the plants) upside down inside the other and seal both up if that makes sense lol

George9 said:
Well, it doesn't actually have to be a fish bag. I tKe that back. I'd use two ziplocks and put the one bag (containing the plants) upside down inside the other and seal both up if that makes sense lol

That makes a lot more sense lol THANK YOU for all this help!

If anyone else has any more suggestions feel free to punch them in! I'm a total noob at shipping! Thanks everyone

I've successfully received plants(crypts without leaves) in a ziplock bag with a moisture pad all enclosed in a padded mailer that I know had been in transit for at least 2 weeks.
The Christmas moss with them looked terrible, but the crypts and java fern were fine.

I don't remember now how he shipped them, but contact 'afishpond'.
I bought some java fern and frogbit from him and they arrived in good shape.

If anyone else has any more suggestions feel free to punch them in! I'm a total noob at shipping! Thanks everyone

USPS shipping - First Class and Priority

First Class mail - 3-5 days on average, no guarantee (think 4-5 traveling from the East to the West coast or vice versa). Parcel must be under 13 ounces, anything over 13 ounces has to go Priority mail (if shipping by air). Price will vary between $1.95 - $3.65 standard retail, add $.85 if adding delivery confirmation (tracking). Prices are slightly cheaper if done online with commercial based pricing.

Priority mail - 2-4 days on average, no guarantee (I'd say 2-3 going to a major city, 1 day going to a city/state near you, 3-4 going across the nation). Anything over 13 ounces has to go Priority mail, but anything UNDER 13 ounces can also go Priority too. Priority mail is slightly faster than First Class mail. Priority prices start at...

***Flat Rate
$5.15 Priority Flat Rate envelope
$5.30 Priority Padded or Legal Size Flat Rate envelope
$5.35 Small Flat Rate box
$11.35 Medium Flat Rate box
$15.45 Large Flat Rate box

***By Weight (in a Priority Mailing box or your own box)
$6.30 0.1-1.0 pounds
$10.40 1.1-2.0 pounds
$13.85 2.1-3.0 pounds
$16.70 3.1-4.0 pounds
etc, etc

Delivery confirmation for Priority is $.75 retail or free if done online.

Because plants are pretty light I'd say in most cases you're probably sending out small First Class parcels or any of the Flat Rate envelopes and small box. You can get all the supplies for free at your local PO, or you can just order them for free online at USPS.com. Everything is free, including shipping. I recommend ordering online because they have a much better selection of free mailing boxes (remember, by weight) that come in a variety of sizes.

Let me know if you have more questions, as while I do not mail much stuff out myself I do conveniently work at a Post Office so all of these things are deeply embedded in my quickly-going-postal brain. I didn't include any sort of run down on Express mail as that'd never really be used for plants, but if you're curious about that class of mailing just let me know. (y)

azmodan said:
USPS shipping - First Class and Priority

First Class mail - 3-5 days on average, no guarantee (think 4-5 traveling from the East to the West coast or vice versa). Parcel must be under 13 ounces, anything over 13 ounces has to go Priority mail (if shipping by air). Price will vary between $1.95 - $3.65 standard retail, add $.85 if adding delivery confirmation (tracking). Prices are slightly cheaper if done online with commercial based pricing.

Priority mail - 2-4 days on average, no guarantee (I'd say 2-3 going to a major city, 1 day going to a city/state near you, 3-4 going across the nation). Anything over 13 ounces has to go Priority mail, but anything UNDER 13 ounces can also go Priority too. Priority mail is slightly faster than First Class mail. Priority prices start at...

***Flat Rate
$5.15 Priority Flat Rate envelope
$5.30 Priority Padded or Legal Size Flat Rate envelope
$5.35 Small Flat Rate box
$11.35 Medium Flat Rate box
$15.45 Large Flat Rate box

***By Weight (in a Priority Mailing box or your own box)
$6.30 0.1-1.0 pounds
$10.40 1.1-2.0 pounds
$13.85 2.1-3.0 pounds
$16.70 3.1-4.0 pounds
etc, etc

Delivery confirmation for Priority is $.75 retail or free if done online.

Because plants are pretty light I'd say in most cases you're probably sending out small First Class parcels or any of the Flat Rate envelopes and small box. You can get all the supplies for free at your local PO, or you can just order them for free online at USPS.com. Everything is free, including shipping. I recommend ordering online because they have a much better selection of free mailing boxes (remember, by weight) that come in a variety of sizes.

Let me know if you have more questions, as while I do not mail much stuff out myself I do conveniently work at a Post Office so all of these things are deeply embedded in my quickly-going-postal brain. I didn't include any sort of run down on Express mail as that'd never really be used for plants, but if you're curious about that class of mailing just let me know. (y)

Thanks so much. I have a few questions. If priorities still take up to 3 days, then how do people ship fish? Is there another shipment method that everyone's using?

Since I want to make a profit, which box do you recommend (in terms of cheapest, smallest, but still effective)

Bobjoefredsky said:
Thanks so much. I have a few questions. If priorities still take up to 3 days, then how do people ship fish? Is there another shipment method that everyone's using?

Since I want to make a profit, which box do you recommend (in terms of cheapest, smallest, but still effective)

I've always received fish priority with no losses. Many people do it. Plus it's cheap lol

I've always received fish priority with no losses. Many people do it. Plus it's cheap lol

Wait I'm a bit confused. In what boxes do you get them in? Flatrate priorities? If not, is there a cheaper quicker box?

There are quicker and there are cheaper ways to ship but there is no "cheaper quicker" box. If going Priority for fish I'd say in most cases they probably just use the Medium FRB. If it's under 2 pounds you could use a Priority mailing box (or your own box) and ship by weight for $10.40, or if it's under 1 pound then the same but at $6.30.

The faster service the USPS has is Express Mail. For a small box it'll generally run you between $30-$40 (at least), but it's a money back guarantee for a 2 day delivery at the latest. I'd say unless it's going across the nation in most cases it's there the next day. Most people ship Priority for fish because the buyer doesn't want to spend ~$35 for Express mail shipping on perhaps a $10-$20 purchase.

azmodan said:
There are quicker and there are cheaper ways to ship but there is no "cheaper quicker" box. If going Priority for fish I'd say in most cases they probably just use the Medium FRB. If it's under 2 pounds you could use a Priority mailing box (or your own box) and ship by weight for $10.40, or if it's under 1 pound then the same but at $6.30.

The faster service the USPS has is Express Mail. For a small box it'll generally run you between $30-$40 (at least), but it's a money back guarantee for a 2 day delivery at the latest. I'd say unless it's going across the nation in most cases it's there the next day. Most people ship Priority for fish because the buyer doesn't want to spend ~$35 for Express mail shipping on perhaps a $10-$20 purchase.

So fish can survive in priorities!

azmodan said:

So what do you advise I search on google to get it online? "Priority small USPS"?

Back
Top Bottom