Should I get driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquariumboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I wanted to know if I should get driftwood for my aquarium because I have low ph (6.0) and I read that driftwood also lowers ph. I have neon tetra, cory catfish, and a betta. Plants I have are Amazon Sword, java fern "windelov" , dwarf sagittaria, Aponogeton ulvaceus, water onion, ludwigia repens, and green tiger lotus. I wanted to know if the low ph would be bad for the fish and/or plants.

Sent from my LG-P659 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you have a 6.0 pH I would suggest attempting to remedy that. At a 6.0 pH the beneficial bacteria won't be able to grow and consume ammonia that is being produced by the fish. I'd try to get that under control and then look at driftwood after that's taken care of.

If you have a 6.0 pH I would suggest attempting to remedy that. At a 6.0 pH the beneficial bacteria won't be able to grow and consume ammonia that is being produced by the fish. I'd try to get that under control and then look at driftwood after that's taken care of.

I can't find a way to raise the ph. I can raise it to 6.4-6.6 but it keeps falling to 6.0 and I don't know why?

I can't find a way to raise the ph. I can raise it to 6.4-6.6 but it keeps falling to 6.0 and I don't know why?

What have you tried so far?

Generally, the best way to raise pH is to add a small handfull of crushed coral into a filter media bag and then put it in your filter.

What have you tried so far?

Generally, the best way to raise pH is to add a small handfull of crushed coral into a filter media bag and then put it in your filter.

Water changes, perfect ph product and baking soda. How can I add crushed coral in my hob filter because the only thing that fits in there is a filter cartridge?

Is that the ph out of the tap also?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No the ph out of the tap is 7.6

I have been having a similar problem. Can you get your lfs to check your KH, carbonate hardness, from the tank and from the tap. Or if you have the test kit you can do it of course. Also would be good to know your GH, general hardness.

This situation is really increased when you do a lot of top offs and not pwc each week, or fairly small pwc. Then there is a low level of KH and GH just keeps increasing and then there isn't enough to buffer. Sorry I am not the specific scientist type so you will need to study about this more, or someone can add a link for you to better specific info.

My KH from the tap basically won't register on the test kit. So it makes the tank unstable. There isn't enough in there to be a buffering agent for the pH. Lack of healthy size pwc, personally would recommend 1/3rd to start.

I have just been working on this problem.

It is a bad place for the fish and plants.

I used API pH increaser and it didn't really help.

So now I have been using baking SODA, and Calcium additive, Kent brand usually used in SW.

I am doing this gradually and so far I have a pH which is getting closer to the tap number, but KH for me is still low, so continuing to add Calcium about every 3-5 days.

Last week I did a massive substrate clean to get rid of gunk in the Eco Complete and that went great, and now this week I am gonna do the clean out on the canister filter and add 3 bags of crushed coral. The tank is 72G.

Didn't want to do them too close together. My filter BB crashed when this started so I am about at the end of building it back up and having the tank cycled again.

This was a major pain, changed a million gallons of water, lost 2/3rds of my fish and plants. Most people I talk to say they have crushed coral in their filters here where I live. Previously I kept Cuttlebone in the tanks to feed the snails, but these 3 tanks I had the major crashes with didn't have the Cuttlebone anymore because it had been dissolved over time.

Good luck, hope that helps you in some way.

Back
Top Bottom