Should I replace my Mag-Drive 7 pump or just buy a new impeller?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bodie

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a Mag-Drive 7 pump in my sump that serves as my return pump. I recently unplugged it to clean the tank and it made a humming noise when I plugged it back in, but it didn't pump any water. I shook it around a bit and it started working again, but it doesn't seem to be pumping as hard. This routine seems to happen whenever I unplug it for maintenance. I examined the impller and didn't notice any problems. I noticed that Mag-Drive advertises that their pumps have low maintenance because there is only one moving part (the impeller). My question is should I buy a replacement impeller for the pump or do I need to buy a new pump altogether?

Also, I didn't notice any obstructions in the return tubing that would've caused a reduction in water current so I'm pretty sure it's the pump...

I recommend ANYONE and EVERYONE have a back up impeller for their main pump. Don't wait until it goes bad to order one or look for a store that has it in stock.

I'd replace the impeller anyway if it were me. Try that first.

I have 4 Danner Mag Drive pumps. I've never had that issue with any of mine. I would take it apart again and make sure the impeller is seated properly and that the O-ring around the faceplate isn't inside the pump. I agree with Ray though, it is always a good idea to have a backup! I keep a couple of spare pumps just in case as well as impellers for my main pumps.

Thanks for the advice. I checked everything again, but it didn't resolve anything. Considering I can't diagnose the problem, I suppose I should skip buying an impeller and just buy an entirely new pump.

Any thoughts on a more reliable brand or type of pump than mag-drive?

Thanks Ziggy! I suppose I will start with a replacement impeller and then if that doesn't work, I will buy a new Mag-Drive 7. I suppose worst case scenario is that I will have an extra impeller in case this happens again. I just didn't want to invest money into an inferior brand, but since you're saying it's reliable, I'll stick with it. I don't really have any experience with any other brand of pumps. Thanks again!

Good thinking jim692! I hadn't thought of that, but I'll give that a try before ordering anything. Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom