Should I start fishless cycle over?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apr28

Aquarium Advice Activist
I started a 5g Fluval around Jan 15th. I seeded it with media from my 29g.

I got nitrites and nitrates right away and quickly shot up. I was dosing ammonia to 2ppm everyday and bacteria was consuming that in under 24 hours.

Then it happened..the PH crash. It dropped to 6.0 and I did a 60% water change and used Prime. My faucet parameters are .25-0-0 with a 7.4PH

For 2 weeks straight now the nitrites and nitrates have become unmeasurable and the ph crashes every 24 hours. I have a feeling this is stalling my cycle.

Would I be better starting over or seeing this through with diligent water changes?

I have a small driftwood that has been boiled and soaked for 2 weeks a carpeted area of dwarf hairgrass and two planted anubias. The plants all look good.

My substrate is the Ecocomplete black sand.(This stuff will cloud your tank even after soaking it)

I would do a 100%WC, and just see what happen, if levels are ok, the you should be able to add fishs... This will drop nitrogens to the lowest levels, that's good to start a healty tank.

Make a good gravel vaccum while doing the WC.

Monitor parameters on day two after the WC, if everything seems fine, then go for fishs... Or maybe add a little 1ppm ammonia to see if the cycle is still stuck at nitrite spike.

Too much nitrites will stop the cycle and make huge PH drops, so that's why i advice you to remove all the nitrogen by 100%WC. Maybe, don't add ammonia, as your tap is already 0.25ppm.

Does that seems ok for you ?

After watching my water closely for a couple days, my ph is crashing in less than 12 hours. It is 7.4 from the tap and drops to 6.4 in 12 hours.

Ive done a 90% water change and the nitrites shoot back up to 5.0 and then a ph crash.

I am totally at a loss.

My 29g does not suffer from the same problem.

Back
Top Bottom