Should i start with a nano tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SwimsWithFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello. I want to start a reef tank. I have A TON of expeirience with freshwater but never any salt. I have a 55 gallon tank with a aquaclear 70 and I was originally going to use that for a reef but I don't have a lot of funds so the idea of a nano reef is becoming more and more appealing. So I was wondering if it would be wise to do a 29 gallon reef as my first saltwater. I know for a fact that I would keep up with water changes, feeding, supplementing, ect. Should I do it? Is there any advice you could give me? I was thinking either a regular 29 gallon tank or a biocube since it has everything built it.

My first sw tank was only a 29g regular tank. :) It was a good size for me to learn on and allows a good amount of fish and corals to go in. I also have a biocube and that is a great tank too. LOL

The biocube I like better as far as convenience and price, you don't have to worry about buying expensive lighting or filter. I did however upgrade my bioball section with a media basket and a fuge with a light. :)

I would suggest starting with a regular size tank than a nano. It allows for more flexibility when it comes to fish and corals. For me it is easier to maintain the perimeters and nano's seem to require some more care in that department ^^

carey said:
My first sw tank was only a 29g regular tank. :) It was a good size for me to learn on and allows a good amount of fish and corals to go in. I also have a biocube and that is a great tank too. LOL

The biocube I like better as far as convenience and price, you don't have to worry about buying expensive lighting or filter. I did however upgrade my bioball section with a media basket and a fuge with a light. :)

If I got the biocube 29 what else would I need to get? Could it house corals?
Could I put 2 occelaris, flame angel, and a watchmen goby?

The clowns and watchman would be fine. The flame angel wouldn't be a good idea for several reasons.
1 they aren't reef safe
2 they need more room
3 even put in last they will stress out the other more peaceful fish

Yes you can do a very nice reef tank with everything stock in a bio cube you can have softies and LPS. You will want a refractometer, ato, sand and rock.
The reason for the ato is to keep the salinity stable. You will want your own test kits so you can test your own water.

If I do decide to go this route I'm going to mod the wet dry into a refugium for chaeto.

ATO is automatic top off it is a pump with float switches that adds fresh water to the tank

Back
Top Bottom