Should I Switch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettafanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just need some advice and opinions here.

I have a 10g saltwater tank but I'm really struggling. I can't maintain a stable salinity at all. It always bounces around from too low to too high to normal and around again. Already all my shrimp and snails have died off, leaving just my firefish, my clown goby, and a hermit crab.

I'm really considering switching to freshwater. I've always been more successful with freshwater, especially since there's no salinity to deal with. But I feel like I'm giving up too easily. Do you think I should rehome my fish and make the switch or just keep trying and see how it turns out? I really can't decide here.

Don't give up! Are you using a hydrometer or a refractometer?

Are you topping off with fresh Ro/Di and during water changes do you test the tank before getting the correct salinity in the new water? Also if you think your readings are off try recalibrating your refractometer, then when testing give the water about 30 seconds to reach room temperature which your refractometer was calibrated at. Lastly always make sure your lens and cover are wiped clean to allow full light penetration.

The best advice I could give though is ditch the 10 and move to a 20 or larger.

Mrc8858 said:
Are you topping off with fresh Ro/Di and during water changes do you test the tank before getting the correct salinity in the new water? Also if you think your readings are off try recalibrating your refractometer, then when testing give the water about 30 seconds to reach room temperature which your refractometer was calibrated at. Lastly always make sure your lens and cover are wiped clean to allow full light penetration.

I do all the things you list it's just me. I don't want to upgrade because I feel like I'd be wasting time, you know?

Yeah I decided that as soon as I finish my 38 gallon planted I'm going to sell my firefish and clown goby and switch to freshwater. I really don't want to end up killing my firefish too because I really love that fish. He's a great fish. He hates to step out of his comfort zone, but when he does he ends up enjoying it. He finally decided to leave his favorite circle of rock, and now he spends most of his time exploring the different overhangs hahaha. I really don't want to kill a fish as nice as that, so I'll give him to someone who can take care of him and try a really simple freshwater setup. I just hope someone will take them.

Back
Top Bottom