Should the maxi-jets make so many bubbbles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

runway1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Not sure how to calibrate my two maxi-jet powerheads. Just a little break in the air valve causes a lot of small bubbles. This makes the water look cloudy.

Is this how they should run? Thanks all.

Just cap off the air valve, it is not needed. The cap should have come with the kit. If your goal is simple water movement that is.

I have 3 maxi jets, a 400 and 2- 1200's. I get the same results, I use the 1200 for movement in the SW, and the 400 for o2 and movement in my FW(it just sputters.) They just dont's seem to adjust well. I also have the SeaClone skimmer (it comes with a 1200) and I believe that the adjustment difficulties of the air are why so many people feel they suck.

I do feel they are the most reliable longest lasting PH however.

As QS pointed out, definitely cap off the air valves if the only purpose is for water movement. Maxijets are inexpensive, and very effective.

If your going to hve a reef tank you dont want air bubbles in the main tank anyway as they can collect on the coral tissue and cause major problems. In addition some fish can be irratated by a large amount of air bubbles. I have a PBT that I have had for at least 3 years now and the only time it had ICH or what resembled ICH was when my sump pump was injecting microbubbles into the display tank.

The adjustment of the seaclone has nothing to do with the MJ powerhead. Just like the maxijet the seaclone uses a ventri to inject the air. This venturi though is not a part of the PH or at least it wasnt in the seaclone I used to use. One of the issues with a ventri design is the adjustments can be extremly sensitive.

Back
Top Bottom