Shrimp behaving strange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GeorgeFrancis222

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey,

I have 10 Amano shrimp (I believe they are A.K.A. ghost shrimp).
4 are females and 6 are males.

Over the last few days the males have been swimming around the 30L very fast and being restless. I believe this is the mating ritual or just natural behavior but I wanted to check here. The females seem peaceful. I have had these male shrimp for about 2 weeks now so this is the first i'm seeing of this behavior. Thanks,

GF:fish1:

I've recently done a NO2, NO3, pH, GH and KH test and they all seem to be in the O.K. colors on the chart.

But what were the exact readings? Shrimp are sensitive to changes in water conditions.

Are the females berried? This will cause the males to swim around looking to fertilize some eggs.

What test kit are you using to check your water parameters?

Hi guys, sorry about the delay my internet has been down these past few days.

My exact readings were:

NO2- 0.3
NO3- 0
pH- 7.5
I was unable to repeat the other 2

The test kit I use is called Tetra, it is a liquid test and is recommended by the fish shop here in Austria (which I am very proud of as they really do care about the fish more than the money)

I have tried a variety of test kits and this one seems the best and all the local fish keepers use it.

The males have seemed to have calmed down. I'm not sure what you mean by berried? I they seem to have eggs or something in their abdomen if that's what it means.

I'm not quite sure what tetra uses for it numbers, but it looks to me like your tank is still cycling. What are your ammonia levels?

In an established tank you should have:

Ammonia = 0
NO2 = 0
NO3 = < 40

Yes, that is correct, berried means the fenale shrimp is carrying eggs

Sorry, I left a bit out by mistake, my NO3 says 0-25 my NO2 is 0.3 and ammonia is 0.

I doubt my tank is cycling because it has been going problem free for the best part of 2 years. It seems to have calmed down now so maybe it was because the females were berried.

Back
Top Bottom