Shrimp in a fry tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hennaartist

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 5 gallon tank I use for guppy fry. I currently have a Pygmy Cory in there to keep the bottom clean.

This tank is "my daughters tank" and she enjoys "taking care of the babies" lol. I'm sure you realize I do all the work lol. She loves crawfish and I realize she can't have a crawfish in a fry tank, but what about shrimp??

Would the shrimp do okay with the fry?
Would the shrimp do okay with the Cory?
What would be the best (yet colorful) shrimp?

I would say you could do a colony of red cherry shrimp and get the cory into a shoal with his friends in another tank.

The red cherries will keep it clean and are colorful. Plus they breed easily which would be interesting for your daughter it seems.

Just a note, a lot of people, myself included, keep fry tanks bare bottom so it is easier to clean. Might help in the future.

I would say you could do a colony of red cherry shrimp and get the cory into a shoal with his friends in another tank.

The red cherries will keep it clean and are colorful. Plus they breed easily which would be interesting for your daughter it seems.

Just a note, a lot of people, myself included, keep fry tanks bare bottom so it is easier to clean. Might help in the future.

I will likely rehome the Cory, since he wouldn't fare well in any of my other tanks.

I can't do bare bottom, because she insists on pink gravel. lol

Haha atleast with pink you can see everything.

Glad you are doing what is best for the Cory in your own situation. Anyways, I am sure she will enjoy the red cherry shrimp. They look like tiny crawdads.

Lol maybe one day she will have her own crawdad tank.

We have an electric blue crawfish in our 29 gallon (which is why the Cory can't go in there). She just really wanted one for her own tank in her own room. lol I think the shrimp will suffice, especially if there is a chance of babies. lol

Lol sounds good. Best of luck! Hopefully your daughter gets the fishkeeping bug in a few years and joins the cult. :p

Back
Top Bottom