Shrimp scuds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cohenjl13

Aquarium Advice Freak
Good morning!

I was thinking about introducing ~300 scuds to my 110 planted, I know a lot of them will get gobbled up and the culture might not last long but I want to try this as a science experiment!

Since they live off plant matter I’m not worried about feeding and my Cory’s love digging for them when I only put a couple in. So I know they won’t be able to get to big of a colony set up.

Any idea if this could back fire? Or anyone wanna take guesses how well it will/will not work?

Good morning!

I was thinking about introducing ~300 scuds to my 110 planted, I know a lot of them will get gobbled up and the culture might not last long but I want to try this as a science experiment!

Since they live off plant matter I’m not worried about feeding and my Cory’s love digging for them when I only put a couple in. So I know they won’t be able to get to big of a colony set up.

Any idea if this could back fire? Or anyone wanna take guesses how well it will/will not work?

Generally those who try this, end up with no scuds, because they all get eaten. Their reproduction can't keep up with predation of the fish.

Mmm makes sense, maybe I’ll try it in my 10g that only houses a betta

So I put about 100 scuds in a lightly planted tank and they are all gone, just disappeared any idea what happened to them?

Could be an issue of food source, while they eat plant material, they prefer consuming decomposing plant material or algae growing on the plants rather than the plants themselves. But more likely they have just "disappeared" into the sediment, which they will burrow into.

I was hoping to have a culture to use to feed my fish with, do you know of a way to lure them out or maybe to check and see if they are there?

You can use a food, feeding them stimulates a feeding response that can allow you to capture those that rise if they are hungry. I use a product from SACHS, but I've read of others who use DIY formulas.

Back
Top Bottom