shrimp tank help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliffz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Folks,
I bought a 3.5 gal Eclipse tank to start a small shrimp tank. I bought black sand as a substrate. Is this ok for the shrimp tank? I thought the black would loook good against the Red shrimp.
I know I have to put some moss in and a piece of driftwood.
Thanks

If it is ADA aquasoil or ecocomplete, make sure you fishless cycle the tank and check it for a few days. These nutrient rich substrates are GREAT for planted tanks, but they do leach ammonia into the water for a time after adding to the tank. This problem with be exacerbated in a 3.5G tank.

Be careful with the filter on the Eclipse... it may be strong enough to suck in the shrimp.

I suggest blocking the filter on the Eclipse with some kind of filter sock so the RCS and their babies don't get sucked into the intake. Even if it doesn't suck them in, they will go near it to get food off it and then get sucked in.

I use black sand in my 20G Long yellow shrimp breeder and it brings their color out amazingly. I'm sure it will do the same for your RCS.

Also they do love moss but it isn't a requirement. They love my hornwort too. Anything they can relax and get tangeled in is what they like. Haha.

Back
Top Bottom