Shrimp Tank with Higher End shrimp Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 5.5 gallon tank that I want to make into a shrimp tank! I am wanting to pick somthing more expensive than a red cherry shrimp this time. I also want to breed these shrimp. So here are some of my thoughts:
The substrate will depend on the species of shrimp (aragonite, PFS, or something to buffer ph with) I want to have lots of plants. I am thinking banana plants and wisteria plus some others. I want to eventually layer the top with duckweed as well (I will add side LEDs to still give the substrate level plants light). I might eventually add a shelf with like a built in water fall....
So here are the shrimp I am considering. If you can think of any really nice ones please sugest!
Either:
Crystal Reds (Like the price but I dont like the look of the high grade ones.)
Harlequin Shrimp (Harlequin Shrimp .:. Caridina cf. spongicola .:. Freshwater Aquarium Shrimp Species Information Page)
or a tiger shrimp of some kind (Orange Eye Blue Tigers, Red Tigers, or plain tigers but not preferably)

I like exotic colored shrimp. Nothing dull. Gotta be gorgeous for this setup!

So any recommendations or tips are welcome!

Go for the OEBT's! I've wanted some forever and just haven't bit the bullet and made the investment.

I may! They are gorgeous but finding them will be hard! Did you look at the link for the Harlequins?! They are a gorgeous new shrimp!

Both of those are good ideas. I'd let the tank get well established first, I've never had luck with shrimp colonies reproducing and thriving except when I switched to larger water volumes, but it might just be me.

If your goal is to breed them for sale, then I'd pick something somewhat affordable to work with, at least at first. I don't know what kind of pricing you can find these shrimp at.

It's like zebra plecos, everyone loves them, but there aren't many that are willing to shell out $150+ for one. Same with shrimp, everyone loves the different rare and new ones, but not very many are willing to pay $10 per shrimp. Just something to keep in mind.

But then again, if you get a great deal on some and they breed like mad for you, you can set your own price on them and give someone else a great price as well.

I am hoping they will breed! I love the shrimp and would also like to bring in a little extra cash (or store credit even). I am really thinking the blue orange eyes but they are hard to find! I also like the harlequins but they would probably be even harder to find!

Ok is he pretty reliable and reasonably priced?

Ok I looked and he didnt have them right now but when I get the tank setup I will contact him if my LFS cant order them.
Any suggestions on substrate and such for the blue tigers?

Have you checked the Mart on this site ?PC1 is selling Shrimp.

Also on The Planted Tank Swap n Shop there are always Shrimp for sale.

I got my CRS from a club member. If you want the lower grade CRS put up a WTB or LF post here and on TPT with your general location.

Have you checked the Mart on this site ?PC1 is selling Shrimp.

Also on The Planted Tank Swap n Shop there are always Shrimp for sale.

I got my CRS from a club member. If you want the lower grade CRS put up a WTB or LF post here and on TPT with your general location.
The Mart? I am actually going to do either blue tigers or harlequien shrimp (if I can find them)

GodFan said:
The Mart? I am actually going to do either blue tigers or harlequien shrimp (if I can find them)

If you are new to Shrimp, Sulawesis can be a heartbreaker. But lovely Shrimp :)

Blue Tigers were for sale on here.
OEBTs are often for sale on TPT.
Mordalphus and GordonRichards are both good sellers and may know other sources if they don't have them.

This is some good info from an owner
http://www.shrimpnow.com/forums/showthread.php/5551-My-Sulawesi-Shrimp-Adventure

Im also a member of a forum called International ShrimpNow Community.
Some Sulawesi Shrimp keepers with good info on there. You can PM folks to find sellers. But sky high prices still. High mortality rates and very sensitive WC Shrimp.

If you are new to Shrimp, Sulawesis can be a heartbreaker. But lovely Shrimp :)

Blue Tigers were for sale on here.
OEBTs are often for sale on TPT.
Mordalphus and GordonRichards are both good sellers and may know other sources if they don't have them.

This is some good info from an owner
http://www.shrimpnow.com/forums/showthread.php/5551-My-Sulawesi-Shrimp-Adventure

Im also a member of a forum called International ShrimpNow Community.
Some Sulawesi Shrimp keepers with good info on there. You can PM folks to find sellers. But sky high prices still. High mortality rates and very sensitive WC Shrimp.
What is TPT?
Also I have been trying to research the sulawesi shrimp amnd have decides to stick with the blue tigers...

*EDIT* Although my LFS had some of the cardinals.... Im not sure what they called them but 20-30 per shrimp is ridiculous!

GodFan said:
What is TPT?
Also I have been trying to research the sulawesi shrimp amnd have decides to stick with the blue tigers...

*EDIT* Although my LFS had some of the cardinals.... Im not sure what they called them but 20-30 per shrimp is ridiculous!

TPT= The Planted Tank forums

You can put up a post on the Mart here and on TPT in their Swap and Shop section WTB = Want to Buy
LF= Looking For

There are Blue Tigers for sale on TPT.

ok Thanks! I couldnt figure their site out last night but it was late :) I will try again.

Back
Top Bottom