Shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

REDCHEVYBLAZER

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been told Shrimp are good for the bottom of a fish tank. How many would you suggest for a 10 gallon tank? As of now Ghost shrimp are all I can find at the few pet stores around here and I don't wanna drive 20+ miles to get to one

When I pm someone about this a while back, I was suggested around I think it was about a dozen. Maybe just under or above that, but right around there. I also have a 10-gal. I haven't been able to get the shrimp yet, as my ammonia was being crazy for a long time, and when I can, I will get some to put in my tank. Hope this is helpful to you! ;)

I've been told Shrimp are good for the bottom of a fish tank. How many would you suggest for a 10 gallon tank? As of now Ghost shrimp are all I can find at the few pet stores around here and I don't wanna drive 20+ miles to get to one

If shrimp are alone in the tank thsn 10 per gallon

Currently I have a 3 guppies, a platy, 2 zebra danio. I do have a Pleco over there but I recently acquired another tank and I think the Pleco will go in that.

How many shrimp for the one with the 6 fish?

Currently I have a 3 guppies, a platy, 2 zebra danio. I do have a Pleco over there but I recently acquired another tank and I think the Pleco will go in that.

How many shrimp for the one with the 6 fish?

For a 10-gal? I'd say after moving the pleco, just to be safe, and then maybe 10-12? Someone else can argue with me over it. Just a suggestion, and if it's not the best, I'll be corrected.

If you're talking ghost shrimp I'd add about 5. If you can find red cherry shrimp you could also add 5 and they'll reproduce to dozens in a few months as long as you put a small sponge over your filter intake. The ghosts will eventually grow large and some will likely kill a couple of it's neighbors. Ghost shrimp won't reproduce but they get pretty big and are cool pets as adults. Instead of lots of small shrimp you'll have big feisty ones. Some shops sell dwarf crawfish which are also cool. I used to breed Cajun dwarf crawfish.

How big will the shrimp get because I know they're fairly small when you get them. And do they actually eat algae? I know the red cherry shrimp will eat algae but I had a few ghost shrimp before and they ate just the stuff at the bottom cause I didn't have algae at all in the tank when I had them. Now there is just a small amount and it would be nice to have something that will help with algae eating.

Any algae not eaten gets scrapped away by me.

How big will the shrimp get because I know they're fairly small when you get them. And do they actually eat algae? I know the red cherry shrimp will eat algae but I had a few ghost shrimp before and they ate just the stuff at the bottom cause I didn't have algae at all in the tank when I had them. Now there is just a small amount and it would be nice to have something that will help with algae eating.

Any algae not eaten gets scrapped away by me.

If you are getting too much Algae
PWCs weekly as usual
Lights on timers no more than 8 hours a day
Don't overfeed.

Your fish may harass and kill Cherry Shrimp. So make sure you have plenty of hiding places. Cherries should have some live plants. They graze on biofilm. They are not great at Algae control.

No Algae Eaters eat all kinds of Algae.

Ghost Shrimp eat more meat based foods.

Amano Shrimp eat soft Algae. But no Shrimp eat hard Algae. Nerite is best for walls.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom