Shriveling shrooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anemoneman

Aquarium Advice Addict
My blue and pink shrooms have been doing poorly lately. Even after 30% water change. 'trate = 0, amm/trite = 0, pH 8.2, SP 1.024 @ 82F
Hairy shrooms are thriving. Seems to be only the "smooth" variety. I gave some to a friend who put them in a new tank and they are doing very well. I can't think of anything different I've done lately. THey seem to be doing a slow descent into extinction. Pink ones first, now the, formerly prolific, blue ones. Anyone else experience this?

Mark

I was chatting with Anemoneman lastnight and I am experencing a simular issue with my shrooms.

The blue shrooms in my 20 where doing great. Then I moved them from the side of teh tank to the center and they started to wilt. I moved them back and it did not help. I even moved them downstairs to the 80 and it still did not help.

I now have some new shromes growing back on that rock but many of the thriving shrooms faded in color and fell off. :cry:

This is really strange, I have never known any shrooms to be this problematic.
dunno.gif

It's quite a problem in my tank. Hard to believe older MH bulbs would be the sole culprit. Other light loving corals are doing well. I have 3 kinds of gorgonian, green tree, brown finger leather, green star polyps, green hary mushrooms orange ricordia mushrooms, brown bullseye mushrooms (all these shrooms are not showing ill effects), unknown type of acropora, green frogspawn, pulsing xenia, various feather dusters, large population of vermatid snails, 3 colonies of button polyps, copious amounts of coraline, and of course a large, long tenticle anemone. Nothing looks sick except the pink and blue shrooms. The pink ones are almost gone, only 2 or 3 small nubs left.

Hmmmm! :x

Mark

I agree it isn't likely the bulbs, they have fared well for a while reproduced etc...and if anything would appreciate the older less intense bulbs. I would expect this behavior if the bulbs had recently been replaced. Is it possible there is some chemical warfare going on that these shrooms are particularly affected by? Are you running any GAC? Could there be any predation going on? (I doubt it, unless the predator has something against pink and blue smooth shrooms).

I ran some activated carbon for a few days last week. No noticable improvement. A little predation on the part of the frogspawn (sending out feeders) but there are mushrooms in other locations doing as badly.
Dunno...still looking for causes.

I have same problem hairy mushrooms do great. Big elephant ear mushrooms (smooth ones) shriver up. If anything helps you please let me know thank you

i had a simalar occurance in my 20 gallon. i bought a rock covered in mushrooms and they did great for about 4 months then all the sudden one day it all changed. so i tried more light that didn't work, less light that didn't work. then I got my 65 gallon and put the rock in there but by that time there was hardly anything on the rock. now a few months later they are growing back everywhere else in the tank except for on that original rock. it was the weirdest thing

i had a bat fish that was trying to eat my mushrooms got rid of him.Then I caught a cow fish trying to eat my toadstool leather and my feather duster got rid of him to.I thought these where reef friendly.so watch out when hungry fish ATTACK!!

I dont know about bat fish. But I do know that cowfish, of box fishes are NOT reef friendly. They are cousins to the puffer fish family. I believe everything in anenomemans tank is bonafied reef safe.

Do you dose Iodine? I had the same problem once, after I stopped dosing Iodine. (Someone at my LFS told it was dangerous) I stopped for a while, and my polyps and Mushrooms stopped growing and nearly went extinct. I was freakin... I was reading an article after about 2 months later, that recommended the use of Iodine, and I restarted the dosing. Everything has come back to life. I did nothing with my lights, however as we all know, lighting is very important as well.

How do you drip iodine mix it w/ kalkwasser?how many drips per how many gals? I am having my iodine along w/ some other things tested at a lab.Ill post readings when I get them.thanx

I add Iodine manually, 10ml (Kent Marine Tech I) per 50 gals once a week. I put that amount in a cup of tank water and then pour that into the tank.

TECH I - Add two teaspoons (2 capfuls or 10 ml) per 50 gallons tank capacity every week for three weeks. Reduce to half dosage in the 4th and subsequent weeks, unless you can test the level. Add directly to the system in an area of good water movement. Do not mix with other supplements outside the aquarium. Do not use with Poly Ox, other oxidizers, or ozone! ( These are the directions from Kent Marine)

I hope this helps...

Back
Top Bottom