shroom control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarineFlake

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a problem with shrooms taking over my tanks. Anyone have experience with a method of erradicating them? I have tried pulling them, squishing them, etc but it only seems to further their growth. Has anyone tried injecting them with something that would actually kill them? I have dozens and dozens of the green shroom variety and I believe I have decided to eliminate them. They have grown to be 'pest' proportions.

I sell them to my LFS for big money. I just took two rocks full of them to him two days ago and got 100.00 for them. If you only knew how bad people wanted them. I bought me a purple brain with that 100.00 and some zoos just for some mushrooms. I would also consider posting on the barter/trade forum to get rid of them and help your own tank out with some new corals. Good luck

Wish you were closer because I'd love to take some from you if you really wanted to get rid of them that bad!

the 2 LFS in my area don't care anything for them. As for the halides, I have a 150 HQI over my 29. They do grow a little slower in there, but are still taking over that side of the tank. Ive got to find a way to kill off these things or they will smother my other polyps/corals. I have pulled dozens off my rocks and given them to one of the local fish marine/reef clubs..Theres only so much people are willing to take I guess.

That`s a shame because my lfs is always calling and begging me for mine. Did you try the Barter/Trade forum.

You want to ship me some? I'll pay for shipping. I wish I had more that could handle the stronger lights.

I will send you as much as you like. They are pretty tough. My params run something like Am 0, trite 0, trate < 5 Phos <.025, ca ~ 400 and alk 7 to 8dkh. Havent checked mg lately since I've stepped up my water changes I figure its good. Temp in my tank runs from about 78 - 80. Flow where the shrooms are infesting is medium to low or none and light ranges from top of reef to sand under 220W 03 VHO and 220W 10k VHO. I'll post a shot of them tomorrow *if* I can find my freggin batteries, but I would be happy to send a batch where ever provided shipping is paid for.

Nuke the rocks. Take them out and stick them in the microwave for 15 seconds. It will kill the rock too but you won't have to get rid of rockas you seel off your shrooms.

You could also greatly increase the water flow in the affected area. This will retard their growth.
Place smaller rocks on top of the mushrooms. They will crawl on the new rocks, looking for light, then you can easily remove the smaller pieces.

What kind/color are you shrooms? I might be intrested in some in about a month if you still have them.

Can you just take a picture so we can have a look at how bad it is?

Back
Top Bottom