'shrooms getting too much light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfound77951

Aquarium Advice Addict
Several of my mushrooms are not opening up as much as they can, I'm wondering if they are getting too much light? I have three large mushrooms that are partially under an overhanging rock and they are always expanded, but the smaller ones don't. They are near the bottom of a 30g long (16" high) with 4x39 watt T5s. Should I try and shade them a little to see if they perk up?

How long have you had them? Did you do anything to help them acclimate to your lighting? Are they regular shrooms or ricordia? Anything close by that may be bothering them? Too much flow?

I have had them for about 2 months. I have 2 ricordea, which are very happy, the rest are "regular" Actinodiscus/Discosoma mushrooms of varying colors (blue striped, blue, green and blue spotted red). The big striped mushroom under a rock is very happy.

I got them from two different sources online, so I don't really know what kind of lighting they were in. They opened up more when I first got them. the largest group is on a rock that is on the bottom of the tank, and doesn't get much flow at all. Some came attached to a bit of substrate glued into a half clam shell which is annoying as I can't get them out of the shell to put them somewhere permanent (I didn't realize the seller did that)

All these are out in the open under the lights. I have VHO lighting. The ones on the top are only 12 inches from the lighting.

Attachments

• 100_0144_191.jpg
    100_0144_191.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 28
Ricordia will appreciate high lighting, I suspect that is why they are happy. T-5's are a little different than VHO. They put out more intensity/PAR. I would suggest placing the shrooms in some shade.

I have two shooms not sure which type but I have them under a 6 bulb @ 54Watts each 3 HO actinicblue bulbs and 3 HO daylight bulbs and my shoom just love the lighting.

Attachments

• dsc00134_213.jpg
    dsc00134_213.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 37
Back
Top Bottom