Sick Betta! Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuppyLover

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Alright, He's in a 10g heated at 76 degrees and filtered. He has a single tank mate, an endler. I've owned him for 6-8 months. He has chronic fin rot that we are currently battling for the 6th time. Ever since I bought George he likes to 'sleep' in his cave. He will literally lay down on his side and rest in it, even with the tank light and the light in my room on. Its never been a problem and as soon as I come into the room he swims up to the glass and fallows me. But lately hes been 'sleeping' a lot more then usual. I'd find him laying in the middle of the tank, but as soon as he'd see me he'd swim right up to me. Today it's gotten a lot worse. I can tap on the glass right infront of him and he won't move, the only thing that will get him up is food. He'll come up and take a bite then just freeze and sink down to the bottom. I put him in a breeder net because I was worried he wouldn't be able to make it to the surface to breathe and now he will freeze in a U shape and just float for a good minute or two then go on as if nothing happened, its almost like he's having a seizure. The only meds I've ever had him on were Melafix (1/5 of the normal dosage) and aquarium salt. Could it be from exposing him to melafix? I'll post parameters in the morning, but I'm 90% sure that isn't it since the endler is perfectly fine. I'm really worried he won't make it through the night. Sorry for the book, and thanks in advance!

Up the temp to 80F. 76F is a touch too cool for bettas. I would remove the melafix. I don't trust the stuff. Heard of bettas dropping once it's added. Test your water and post the results when you can. How much salt have you added?

Mumma.of.two said:
Up the temp to 80F. 76F is a touch too cool for bettas. I would remove the melafix. I don't trust the stuff. Heard of bettas dropping once it's added. Test your water and post the results when you can. How much salt have you added?

Working on the temp now! I'll do a 75% water change. I had put half of a tablespoon in. Parameters are,
Ph-7.6
Amm-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-30
He seems to have perked up a bit from the emergency 25% water change last night (didn't redose meds). Thanks for your help!!

Back
Top Bottom