sick betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stone1269

Aquarium Advice Freak
My betta has wat I thought was popeye and I did a water change and added aquarium salt the next day he looked alot better so checked on him today and it looks like he has tiny tiny blood worm lookin things below his eye!! Idk wat to do he has always been healthy and maybe his old age has sumn to do with it?

From the pics it looks like a sore to me, but u say it looks something like bloodworms close up? Any chance of a better pic that shows this?

Best I can get with my phone but yea close up they r little red things looks just like bloodworms only real tiny

How old is he and just keep doing water changes and adding salt for the amount that you take out.. It looks like a sore to me also but the pic isn't to good...

Do they move? If not might possibly just be blood vessels. Is there a chance he might have hurt himself on something in the tank? Is he alone or does he have other tankmates?

He's in a 10g that's divided in half so he's alone and I know its not a sore cause it started out with both eyes bulging out but the salt completely healed one eye but now the other has the little red things under it.

Last edited by a moderator:
He was full grown when I got him a couple of years ago.

Can you google pictures of anchor worms and compare?
What are your water conditions like?
Tank size?
Tank mates?
How long have you been treating with salt? And how much?

Yes I looked em up and not sure if that's wat it is cause they don't seem to be alive. He's in a 10g divided in half cause its the home of 2 small brichardi. I had to move the betta out of his original 10g cause I needed an emergency home for a cichlid of mine that was being harassed. I only used the salt for the past cpl days and only one and a half table spoons. My water conditions are unknown I used my last strip on my big tank and won't be getting more till Saturday

stone1269 said:
Yes I looked em up and not sure if that's wat it is cause they don't seem to be alive. He's in a 10g divided in half cause its the home of 2 small brichardi. I had to move the betta out of his original 10g cause I needed an emergency home for a cichlid of mine that was being harassed. I only used the salt for the past cpl days and only one and a half table spoons. My water conditions are unknown I used my last strip on my big tank and won't be getting more till Saturday

The Betta really needs his own space for treatment. Sharing a 10g with two messy cichlids isn't going to help. You are going to have to keep his water very clean with daily water changes. Up the salt to 2 tablespoons for the 10g and replace what is taken out with the water changes. What temp is the tank at? Is the wound bleeding or have any fuzzy growth in it?
Don't get any more test strips. They are too inaccurate. Get yourself an API master test kit. Cost a bit more to begin with but last longer and is more accurate.

Right now its my only choice and the water is 72degrees. No there is no fuzz growing around his eye just the red things

No bleeding that I can see and he still has a good appetite so hope that's a good sign. I do have a betta "condo" but I hate seeing him n something so small and I wouldn't trust myself to medicate him in such a small container

Got to work with what you have. 72F is way too cold for him. Bettas do best at 80F. Try just the salt for a few days. If it gets worse, gets more red things, he gets clamped fins, lays in the bottom or acts odd in any way let us know ASAP.

K I raised the temp on the thermometer I will raise it a little at a time gonna do 50% water change tonight and add more salt thanx for the help :)

Well he looks sooo much better today!!! The red things are going away and his eye is returning to normal :) gonna do another wc and add more salt and keep fingers crossed

Ok I got a good look at him and he has a tiny white patch of fuzz where the red things were. Should I medicate?

Back
Top Bottom