Sick bettas!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jespenguin

Aquarium Advice Activist
So 2 of my female bettas had white spots the day after they arrived from being shipped. I immediately quarantined them, and began an aquarium salt treatment per advise of someone on a Betta forum. But it seems to be getting worse! So I'm looking for second opinions.

Attachments

• image-2439790402.jpg
    image-2439790402.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 99
  • image-2779873887.jpg
    image-2779873887.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 94
Wow, that is horrible!!! Are the bettas together? It looks like a bite from the pic, and that is flesh hanging out.

I would get some Melafix/Pimafix and keep the water SUPER clean. I am not sure if that will ever heal up though. Have you contacted the shippers and let them know what's going on?

They were together with 3 others, but now they are in separate QT. It was just a flat white spot that has grown to that. I was advised to add more salt. I have and now the white is a fleshy red. Not sure if it's a good or bad thing, but they seem more active. If it's a bad thing, I'll head to the store I guess. And no I have not contacted them.

Oh and the person who's helping on the betta forum thinks it's columnaris if anyone has more suggestions for that.

I've read all the articles. I just can't find anything that shows what it looks like healing. But if it's worse tomorrow I think I have to make the executive decision. At least for the worse of the two.

Thanks! It's seems the one in the picture is septic, and she's nose down and can't straighten herself out. I'm going to buy alcohol now:( But the better of the 2 has not turned red. Her still white spots are getting smaller! I can officially say columnaris 1 Jami 1. I don't really like to tie, but it's better than a total loss.

Oh wow. There are virulent strains of columnare but this looks, to me, like a wound (bite?) or a flesh-eating bacteria (columnare can cause tissue to die). Not that I've ever heard of the later infecting a betta. (I don't see why it couldn't, it affects larger fish this way) If it were my fish I'd look for a wide spectrum antibiotic that treats both gram-negative and gram-positive infections. I'm conservative with antibiotics but after seeing the photo... it seems appropriate.

Back
Top Bottom