Sick corydora

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katfishkeeper

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
1~What type of fish is afflicted? Three line corydora. Bought with 4 others at the same time, is now the smallest. Doesn't appear to eat much, is still really thin as opposed to the healthy bellies of the others. Main reason: has developed a cotton like growth on right fin. I do have pictures.

2~What are your tanks parameters? Cycled. 0 ammo, 0 nitrites, 20ppm nitrates. 7.6ish ph. Temp @ 77

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up? 10g, set up 3 months

4~What type of filtration are you using? Marineland biowheel penguin 100. GPh unknown. Made for a 20g

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? Okay don't yell at me. 1 dwarf gourami, just got him to replace a betta that has been moved to his own tank. 7 neon tetras. 5 three line corydora and 4 medium sized bronze corydora (to be moved to a 30g with other bronzes and peppereds)

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time? 2 days ago. Sand bottom. I do a 25-30% pwc about 2-3 times a week.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? About 2 months.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? Have been adding a lot of live plants lately. Switched from a tetra brand dechlorinator to stress coat+.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? Aqueon & wardley algae thins, tetra & wardley flakes, frozen blood worms, sometimes a different bottom feeder wafer but they don't care for it as much.

Phew okay so yeah I just noticed his fin like this yesterday after a couple weeks of worrying about his eating habits/weight. I just reintroduced a large leafed plant and he seems to prefer eating off of those as opposed to off the substrate. I don't really ever see him nibbling at wafers or going after flakes. Also, I know my tank is overstocked.. I compensate by doing more frequent water changes and my water quality is really good. Everyone seems happy. I had a betta in the tank who was friendly but seemed to be developing fin rot. So I put him in his own tank with salt and a low flow filter and next thing you know there's a bubble nest so I took that as a sign he preferred his own space rather than sharing it. Like I said the bigger corydoras will be moved to my boyfriends 30g who also has cories (after being insanely jealous of mine).

I just need to know about the cottony stuff on the little corydoras side fin and how to treat. I have melafix and was planing to go to the store for maracyn if that will help either.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396797385.888556.jpg ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396797487.499291.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396797421.628051.jpg

Sounds like a bacterial or fungal infection. I'm sure someone else will scold me, but medication is most likely the answer.

Back
Top Bottom