Sick/Dead Cardinal Tetras...Need help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Orcus332

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi All,
I bought a 2 german blue rams and a 3" killifish on the 3/25. The killifish lasted only 24 hours before dying. I then decided to get some cardinal tetras for tankmates. I bought 3, and 1 died within 24 hours. I then went back to the store and bought 4 more (so I would have the recommend number of 6) and added them to the tank. In less than 24 hours 3 of them died. On a few that died, I noticed "bleaching" of their colors at the base of certain fins (SEE ATTACHED PHOTO), disinterest to eat, and not hanging out with the school. The 2 rams and other 2 surviving tetras are doing great, but I'm afraid I'm going to lose the 3rd tetra soon. I'm interested in keeping 6, so the death must end! :x I'll use the suggested template to give you the info:

1~What type of fish is afflicted?
Cardinal Tetras, white lesions usually starting at base of fins (caudal or dorsal) and slowly enlarging within 24 hours.

2~What are your tank parameters.
NH4=0 NO2= 0 NO3= 10 (same as tap water) PO4 = 1ppm KH = 71.6 GH= 196.9 pH= 7.4-7.6 Temp= 81F Moderatly planted with 12:12 light cycle with 2 hour darkness during middle of light cycle.

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up? 10 gallon set up for 1 year and 3 months

4~What type of filtration are you using?
Aquaclear 20 (hang on back) with 2 standard "foam" filters and 1 filter floss

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
2 german blue rams ~ 2"; 1 otocinclus 2"; 3 cardinal tetras 1.5"

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
50% partial water changes every week. last time was 3/25

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
I've had the fish for less than 48 hours. I acclimate them by setting the opened bag containing the new fish in the tank for 15 minutes. Then each 15 minutes, I add about a cup of water to the bag. After an hour I dump only the fish in the tank.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
No

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
Flake food, no change in diet

Let me know what other info you need.

Attachments

• sicktetra_118.jpg
    sicktetra_118.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 65
Yes they are all being purchased from the same lfs. I'm starting to thing it may be an acclimation/stress problem. I did a 50% PWC and cleaned up the BBA from a few of my plants about an hour ago. After refiling the tank the pale area at the base of the fish's dorsal fin had extended about halfway to his caudal fin. Breathing was very rapid/labored.

I just looked in the tank now, and he's on his side laying at the bottom still breathing. I went ahead and euthanized him.

These are very pretty fish. The 2 that I have are doing great with no signs of the problem so far. I'd like to get them some company (4 more), so I'm hoping to have this figured out. I'm returning the dead ones tomorrow before the 48 hour warranty ends, and going to try this one more time.

Stress is definately possible but your acclimation method is fine. Try some from a different lfs if possible. Does your lfs carry a guarantee on fish?

There is a 48 hour warranty on the fish, so if I'm not satisfied (ie. they die) with the fish within the first 48 hours I can return them for store credit.

CONTINUATION:
So I managed to get store credit for the 4 tetras that died with no problems. I've now come to realize that it is the store's problem....Thanks Zagz! 8) After a closer look at their fish, several of them presented identical to mine. The employee said they have "neon tetra disease." I've read that cardinal tetras are immune to this disease, and it's even been cited from the "Textbook of Fish Health, 1987." Anyone have any input here??? I currently have 2 tetras remaining that I'm going to sell back to the fish store later tonight. So here are my questions.

1. Are my german blue rams and otocinclus in danger of contracting the disease?

2. Also, if I get cardinal tetras from another source, will they contract the disease from my tank? (how long should I wait, do i need to do something to my tank to "clear" the disease from my tank, etc.)

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom