Sick Discus (Repeat symptoms)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dubs1281

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought five discus and now have three. When the other two passed, they would isolate themselves in the same corner and just stare in the back. They would stop eating, and in a week or two, die.
Now the third is starting to do the same. He was perfectly happy this morning, he ate tons and was very active.
Ph. - 7.8
AMMONIA - 0 PPM
NITRITE - 0 PPM
NITRATE - 5 PPM

GH - 50 PPM
KH - 75 PPM

I brought home a sword tail and within a couple days it came down with a bacterial infection, I removed it right away but another swordtail and guppy I had previously had died a few days after. I treated my rank with API E.M. ERYTHROMYCIN when that happened, And all seems fine now. I will feed them and then give an update.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

He ate. Just not as much as usual. He seems to be a little tipped to one side.

I to have discus and have seen them shy away and die for no reason. I started checking my water with an API freshwater test kit and you can't beat the results. Don't trust test strips they can be misleading. Most if the time I have had a problem it's my water parameters like ammonia, nitrite. Can be from over feeding or under filtration or even overstocked. How did you cycle the tank? Discus require pristine water to survive. This starts with a cycled tank that's a must next is not over feeding. Discus are prone to bloat if not careful. Also over feeding can cause an ammonia spike this can kill a fish. Oxygen is also a must have. It helps in with the cycle process also will help the fish because ammonia will overcome the oxygen level and kill the fish. So an air stone is good or a pump/filter that breaks the surface water will help add oxygen. Another thing is to purchase a quality discus. If u get a sick one it won't take long to fall ill in a new environment. This is from different water parameters. I have had discus die from internal parasites/ worms this sucks when that happens and you watch your fish wither away to only die a few months later. I have spent over 200$ on Meds that didn't touch it. Very frustrating thing to deal with losing an expensive fish. I would almost bet money on it. That it's something in your water chemistry that is affecting your fish.

He's acting normal today and was actually the most aggressive eater. Will do a 50% wc on Sunday. I use the API liquid test kit.

I bought him from a guy on craigslist who bought him when he was tiny, almost two years later he sold them to me. They are higher quality than some I see in pet stores.

I think he'll be fine but I have a close eye on him.

Back
Top Bottom