Sick fish idk what it is.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishlover99

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hola, so I am stumped. I have a few platy fish that have some concerning issues. Their scales are popping out and falling off in certain spots. Almost like they where pet backwards. I have hit them with antibiotics I used Em erythromycin put out by API. Didn't touch it. I used seachem sulfplex nothing. I am now treating with API triple sulfa. Yes my fish had breaks in between all these meds. Their gills seem to be more red. I had one with a bad eye it's cleared up finally. They are into day 3 of treatment with the triple sulfa. No improvement with the fish that have infected scales. It's only certain fish. It doesn't seem to be going to fish to fish. My pH is 6.8, hardness is around 75ppm, 0 ammonia, 0 nirtite, and 5ppm for nitrates. My phosphate was at like 1.5 I don't have this test my pet store did this for me. My tank is heavily planted. They are now in my 20 long. I can't treat my 40breeder I have sensitive fish in there. My 20 long has the water parameters except the phosphate levels. The 20 long only have a few plants. Mostly hornswort it was a breeding tank now it's my hospital. I have a bristlenose pleco in all my tanks so salt isn't a option. I also have mystery snails in all my tanks. So again salt isn't a option. I do add a tiny bit. I do a 1/8 of a tsp for every 10 gallons. I will post pics of the one I was able to catch, I'm big on stressing my fish. I don't use nets I set home made fish traps they work beautifully. IMG_20190219_132442~2.jpgIMG_20190219_132529~2.jpgIMG_20190219_132442~3.jpg

Based off the scales sticking out and the fish turning black I would say it's melanosarcoma. Or it's possibly a flagellate infection in the stomach.

Based off the scales sticking out and the fish turning black I would say it's melanosarcoma. Or it's possibly a flagellate infection in the stomach.
What can I do for them? I have dewormed everyone. Every fish I get, gets this treatment.

Nothing I know of to cure melanosarcoma. I believe it can be caused in live bearing fish from Hybridization.

As far as the potential flagellate I would try to dose metroplex and see if there's any change.

Back
Top Bottom