Sick Ghost glass, and cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScaryFatKidGT

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So about a week ago I had a glass catfish get sick and dye (first thing to ever dye in my 150g for the 3 months Ive had it running. So I got another and did a 25g weekly water change. Now another is biting the dust... so something must be off, there insides turn red and they swim around all sick. There stomach stays black but other stuff is red, they look kinked and contorted sometimes too.

Also sense the water change or maybe the day before visibility in the tank has been dropping I can hardly make out the filter intakes through 24" of water.

I have 4 T5 HO lights on for 8h then 2 on for 3 more, 1 java fern, 3 cripts and some jungle val. 9 rainbowfish, 4 4" clown loaches, a 4" pictus cat, a pleco and 6 soon to be 5 ghost glass catfish.

I dose 10ml excel, flourish, and use Fluval water conditioner and bacteria, I have a Cobalt EXT, whisper 60 and AC 110 with 250ml purigen on it.

Sad news :(

Would you have water readings? How are they looking.

Also is it a bacterial bloom reducing visibility or algae (green) or just general debris?

Sad news :(

Would you have water readings? How are they looking.

Also is it a bacterial bloom reducing visibility or algae (green) or just general debris?
0 amonia and nitrites, 20-30 nitrates. I think its an algae bloom? So I have started cutting my lights. Like close up stuff looks fine it only looks green if you look into the tank deeper where you can't see anything.

Would algae fix help? Or charity? I'm surprised it doesn't get filtered out

My clownloachs seem to like the reduced visibility?

The other glass catfish look fine, once I notice there sick they die in like 8 hours?

0 amonia and nitrites, 20-30 nitrates. I think its an algae bloom? So I have started cutting my lights. Like close up stuff looks fine it only looks green if you look into the tank deeper where you can't see anything.

Would algae fix help? Or charity? I'm surprised it doesn't get filtered out

My clownloachs seem to like the reduced visibility?

The other glass catfish look fine, once I notice there sick they die in like 8 hours?

Water sounds good. I agree, I'd try cutting the lights back.

My experience with algae killers hasn't been great. I find they kill the plants and the algae is still going strong. :( Now that I'm dosing liquid carbon the BBA is mostly gone and the hair algae staying in check.

A UV filter would help but cutting lights back to say 7 hours and then working back up is well worth a try first. I do run a UV unit so as suits there on space and funds really.

At that speed of death, I'd say internal bacterial infection unfortunately. Is it starting after anything like a water change or dosing anything?

Edit - and just the two catfish lost?

Back
Top Bottom