Sick Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CBmom

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 10 gal tank with two hatchetfish, a kuhli loach, a fiddler crab, and a powder blue gourami. I came home today to find my Gourami struggling at the top of the tank. I checked all my water stats and they are all WAYY off the charts. My tank is about five weeks old and I figured the water would probably even out by now. I have treated the water with marine salt for the nitrites, ammonia neutralizer, and did a partial water change, but I don't think he is going to make it (just hanging at the top in a vertical position).

This isn't the first time something like this has happened.. any suggestions? do you think he'll make it?

I have a 10 gal tank with two hatchetfish, a kuhli loach, a fiddler crab, and a powder blue gourami. I came home today to find my Gourami struggling at the top of the tank. I checked all my water stats and they are all WAYY off the charts. My tank is about five weeks old and I figured the water would probably even out by now. I have treated the water with marine salt for the nitrites, ammonia neutralizer, and did a partial water change, but I don't think he is going to make it (just hanging at the top in a vertical position).

This isn't the first time something like this has happened.. any suggestions? do you think he'll make it?

A) fiddler crabs need land in their tanks. Not really for that type of aquarium.
B) hatchetfish need at least 20 gallons.
C) don't use ammonia neutralizer. That keeps the tank from cycling.

To clear up the crazy test results, water changes. Don't use chemicals to fix it. They're temporary, and usually are not real good for the fish. Water conditioners and water changes are the best way to fix it.

As for your gourami, clean water ASAP. Do his gills look red? Any other signs of anything wrong?

he doesn't have red gills, no signs of bloating, no bacterial infections. the fiddler crab DOES have land in there, he has an underwater crab cave that opens up to dry land. The hatchetfish are fine and no showing any signs of stress. Can I take the gourami out and put him in different water? I didn't think that was a good idea...

Cycling with fish takes a looong time(don't know exact numbers) and requires daily 50% or more water changes. As mentioned, you are overstocked. Marine salt may be part of the problem as it is for saltwater tanks not freshwater tanks. Your fish is showing (very slight) signs of ammonia poisoning. To save him, do water change after water change and he may have a chance. However, your fish probably are all at varying levels of illness due to toxins so water changes will help them too.

he doesn't have red gills, no signs of bloating, no bacterial infections. the fiddler crab DOES have land in there, he has an underwater crab cave that opens up to dry land. The hatchetfish are fine and no showing any signs of stress. Can I take the gourami out and put him in different water? I didn't think that was a good idea...

In a different tank. That would be quarantine. I'm not saying the hatchetfish are stressed. I'm saying they're in a tank that's too small, and with the fiddler crab having land, their space is even smaller. They need a bigger tank.

Your DG has ammonia poisoning, like someone else said. Water change after water change to get the water clean.

Cycling takes FOREVER. You gotta be on top of those tests and do daily big water changes to keep the levels below toxic.

What were your test results?

Back
Top Bottom