Sick Mushrooms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

duddi

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,
For the past three days all of my red mushrooms have been shriveled up. This is weird because all my other mushrooms and corals are doing fine (I have multiple color mushrooms, leather coral, xenia, frogspawn, starburst, button polyps, staghorn, and sun coral.) See attachments for pictures (the one pic shows my mushroom rock with the red mushrooms). aquarium(1-1-08) 002.jpg

aquarium(1-1-08) 006.jpg

aquarium(1-1-08) 016.jpg

aquarium(1-1-08) 018.jpg

Has there been any changes lately like new livestock or lighting or any other changes that you know of? What are your water test results?

No changes at all. My lighting is 4X54 T5's that are exactly 1 year old. I did add about 10lbs of cured live rock about two weeks ago. Like I said its really weird because all other corals and mushrooms look the best that they have ever looked. Its only the red mushrooms that are shriveled. You can see in the 3rd pic that I have a hairy mushroom and some green mushrooms that are fine.
Water quality is good and is the same as it has been for a year. I don't test for phosphates because I don't have a kit. I know that there are some phosphates due to the algea you can see in the pics. Most of this is caused because that side of the tank is next to a window.

They look majorly ticked off ... Is there anything that could be irritating them? Perhaps the clowns are hosting them ? The other thing that piques me is the lights it it is time for new bulbs :)

I'm pretty sure I figured it out. There is a red slime like algea that is spreading around on that rock. It started to creep up on my hairy mushroom and I could tell that it was bothering it. I am going to brush and siphon this algea up soon and I'll keep you up to date.

My mushrooms are slowly making a comeback. I realize that the cyano was the problem. My question now is how much does the light from a window effect the algea in an aquarium. The right side of my tank (closest to the window) has algea growing while the left side does not.

I would think any sunlight would be a major factor in algae growth. The fact that the growth is only occurring on the sunlit side is just reinforcement of that.

Back
Top Bottom