Sick Naso Tang- Help clueless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melissasreef

Aquarium Advice Regular
i am not sure what is wrong with my Naso tang. He is a quiet fellow and is usually in a spot he has found in our rock work. Today he was hiding in a differant spot in a cave rick we have. Now, I am not the aquarium expret, my husband is closer to that title. I feed this morning and he didn't come out. So I tried moving the rock he was in. He was actually sort of caught in a edge on the bottom of a rock. with a little coaxing he came out, but he just layed in the sand and was still curved like the shape of the rock. My husband asked me to get a smaller tank and set it up and quarentine him. I did which mind you was not easy to dig through storage, drag home and set up.. I have never set up an aquarium before. I used water from the larger tank. he is still not swimming and just laying there. I have looked up ick and dont think that is it since i read yellow tangs are usually the first to show it before Naso tangs, and the yellow tang is doing spendid. Any ideas? I hope to have some pics soon.

Here are before pics and now pics. The one of him by the tube was taken just 4 days ago, the other three are of him laying in the quarenine tank.
I will post all water perameters in a bit, I have 2 go pick up my daughter from camp

Attachments

• DSC_0508.jpg
    DSC_0508.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 171
  • DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 139
Water test results from 7/1/09
ph 8.2
hardness 10
calcuim 620
Density 1.023
Ammonia 0
Nitite 0
No3 -0
PO4 -0
water temp - 78

No, I have only noticed the whitish shots on his bady, but he gets the same way when ever I have to put my hand in the tank, and they usually go away with in a half hour of so.

All those fish and 0 nitrates? Wow that is some super tank maintenance you are doing there.

Just out of curiosity, how did you get the qt tank cycled that quickly?

Thank you to all those who did read and try to help. My husband (who's previous career was in the lfs business) came home and noticed some of the marks on the fish and felt he had a fungus of some sorts. So, we went to get medicine. However, upon return we found that he had already passed.

If anyone can tell me if the QT tank is still ok, or do I need to dump it and scrub and refill?

Cement shoes- thank you for the compliment i do work hard at it. I am a stay at home mom which does give me a little more time than some, but I do have the three kids (7,5,and 3). I do water tests every 3 days, keep a diary of all changes, and we do water changes every 10 days. The qt tank was set up water from my main 55 gallon tank. We knew the water was not the issue. ALso, we had the tank and all the equipment in storage it was just a matter of setting it all up.

I'm sorry for your loss. :( I've been following along, but had nothing of merit to offer.

Sorry for your loss. I to don't have much experience with sick fish.

Sorry about the loss. Just remember in the future that when you put a fish in a too small tank it accelerates disease and parasite complications. I dont know for sure why he died but I do think that the small tank did not help. Again sorry about your loss.

Sorry about the loss. Just remember in the future that when you put a fish in a too small tank it accelerates disease and parasite complications. I dont know for sure why he died but I do think that the small tank did not help. Again sorry about your loss.

I agree with Melosu. I'm not one to usually say a tank it too small for a certain fish , but that tank is WAY to small for a Naso. I have a 180-gallon tank and I am not even going to get one because they grow to be 18" fairly quickly. He probably got sick from being stressed from the small tank. I also noticed that in the picture from days ago, he looked very skinny. I think the tang may need to be fed more often.
I would definitely recommend NOT getting another Naso. In my opinion the only Tang you can keep in a 55-gallon without stressing it out over time, would be a Kole Tang.

Back
Top Bottom