Sick Pepper cory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, I definitely don't plan on getting anymore fish for a while! Should I still treat it with an antibiotic? I'm guessing yes because my other cory has gotten worse and is more than likely going to die also. :(

No, I definitely don't plan on getting anymore fish for a while! Should I still treat it with an antibiotic? I'm guessing yes because my other cory has gotten worse and is more than likely going to die also. :(

Below is a good link I find on various meds. IMO I tend to divide meds into good for light or heavy infections. Pimafix / melafix ime for light infections.

And then I go with whatever I'm comfortable with or can find. For me, I'd go with anitbiotics as CB mentioned above, however PP is another option which works.

Medicated fish food with minocycline or oxytetracycline another.

Mainly with bacterial infections you want to get on top of it as quick as you can.

So if you go with antibiotics, anything that treats gram-negative bacteria is likely to work.

Aquarium Medications and Treatments | How they work & Use

These are what I have found won't help or seen work.

Pimafix / melafix -> no change. Didn't even slow it down.

Tetracycline antibiotic --> useless.

Acriflavine / malachite green / methylene blue / salt -> ime reduces infection but I've never managed a cure.

** High heat - does not help at all.

Thank you Delapool and Coralbandit for your help and the wonderful links! I'm about to head to my lfs now and see what I can find to help me not lose anymore fish! :thanks:

Update, well I didn't have much luck finding any of the meds recommended. My area is VERY lacking in fish medicines. I did find Furan -2 and the methylene blue. I couldn't even find Jungle clear water.

I tested my water this morning and my ph dropped significantly. I'm really not even sure what it is. The color the test turned is not even a color on the chart. It was a very pale green with a slight blue color to it. I think yesterday it was 7.2. No ammonia or nitrite and very little nitrate. All I put in the tank yesterday was some aquarium salt after doing a water change.

I did another water change today and added the Furan-2 to the tank. I only added one pack to the tank because I was afraid if I added another one it might kill my plants and maybe my ghost shrimp and snails. Do you think I should go ahead and add the recommended dose of 2 packs (20 gal tank)? All the fish but one look fine. One of the pepper cory's caudal fin at the tip on top looks like fin rot but as far as I can tell that is the only spot on it so far.

Update, well I didn't have much luck finding any of the meds recommended. My area is VERY lacking in fish medicines. I did find Furan -2 and the methylene blue. I couldn't even find Jungle clear water.

I tested my water this morning and my ph dropped significantly. I'm really not even sure what it is. The color the test turned is not even a color on the chart. It was a very pale green with a slight blue color to it. I think yesterday it was 7.2. No ammonia or nitrite and very little nitrate. All I put in the tank yesterday was some aquarium salt after doing a water change.

I did another water change today and added the Furan-2 to the tank. I only added one pack to the tank because I was afraid if I added another one it might kill my plants and maybe my ghost shrimp and snails. Do you think I should go ahead and add the recommended dose of 2 packs (20 gal tank)? All the fish but one look fine. One of the pepper cory's caudal fin at the tip on top looks like fin rot but as far as I can tell that is the only spot on it so far.

I'd dose full strength and as per directions.

Plants I've never noticed an issue with (actually I find salt causes more problems). I think snails are ok but not 100% sure and definitely not sure with shrimp (never tried it with them).

Do you have a kh test?

I'd dose full strength and as per directions.

Plants I've never noticed an issue with (actually I find salt causes more problems). I think snails are ok but not 100% sure and definitely not sure with shrimp (never tried it with them).

Do you have a kh test?

No, I don't have a kh test. Guess I need to get one! I know I have hard water. My hoods are always getting the white crusty stuff (scale) on them. I've use Neutral Regulator (Seachem) before and I still had ph swings. Anyway other product you can recommend to help with ph?

I'll go ahead and add the other pack. I can always move my shrimp to my 5 gal tank.

Back
Top Bottom